sport sandal?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianW

Reaction score
have a pair of Teva guides(?) that are about 7-8 years old and am looking to replace them. Since Teva does not make this model anymore and I am thinking of Chaco Z1 or Z2's. Anyone have feedback on these? light hiking? around town? etc? any other brands i should look into? thanks-brianW

I have a couple pairs of chacos.....(Z1s as I can't stand the toe piece....just my personal preference). They are super comfy, super supportive (great arch support) and have great vibram soles. I met a guy in 2008 who hiked the whole PCT in them. I have hiked in them before, but I don't on a normal basis......just me. I wear them as everyday sandals, but on the off chance I'm going for a hike and forget my shoes or something CRAZY like that........they work great!!!
I've heard they are making the newer models "lighter" (they couldn't be much heavier!!!) I would recommend them just because they are so comfortable (the staps are a little tricky at first, but once you get used to them, it's a cinch!!!) And if you don't like them for hiking, you'll love them as everyday sandals.

I replaced my last Tevas with Keene H2s and I really like them. The only negative is that they do get a little bit funky but a spray with simple green and the hose and drying in the sun and they are good to go.

Tim

I have 2 pairs of Chaco Z1s. (One with a water sole, one with a Vibram sole.) I like them.

Chacos have fairly strong arch support. If this fits your feet, then I recommend them. If it doesn't fit, get something else.

Doug

+1 for the Keens. (The funkiness just shows they're been used. :) ) When the water is cold I add a pair of HydroSkin socks for warmth.

(Personally, I can't imagine doing the PCT in any of these. Seems to me the guy probably could have just gone barefoot by the time he was done . . . )

Last edited:
Here's another vote for the Chaco Z1's with the Vibram sole. I've had mine for about 6-7 years now and they're barely even showing wear. I've used them kayaking on the ocean, whitewater rafting, river crossing, day-hiking...well, you get the idea. They are so much more supportive than my brother's old Tevas that I used to steal, and infinitely better than my old flip-flops. My one complaint is the weight, but I'll gladly sacrifice that for the extra support across the soles.

I've had two pair of Walmart $10 sport sandals; each lasted about five years and worked just fine. I've waded, hiked, and climbed in these. No need for name brands $$$. Right now, the last pair is shot, and I'm looking for a replacement. Unfortunately this years WM line has a big arch support and a heavy padded heel, so they're junk. The old ones were a simple, flat slab of tire rubber. Checking Target, Dollar Store, etc.

I have a pair of old Clarks, full sandal, removable heel strap. It's got leather covering all the places where the straps contact skin. It's very comfortable and it even has a decent stiff sole and hiking tread. It's fairly heavy but is built really well and has lasted awhile.

Forget the model name, not even sure if they still make it but it was about $80 so it's fairly pricey but it is really comfy.

Jay

I'd agree with TCD, actually. I wasn't even thinking about cost because I got mine off the clearance table at EMS (they're EMS branded Chacos) for $15 and there's no WAY I'd ever pay full price for a pair of them.

If you can find a pair that are comfortable, supportive enough for your feet and a good cost, jump at them.

Or you could make your own.

I have a pair of Chaco Z2's - I really like them and the arch support is great, but in retrospect the Z1's would have been a better choice so I could wear my neoprene socks with them.

Or you could make your own.[/QUOTE

Have you made a pair? I've looked into this but don't know anyone who has made them or have seen a home made pair up close. I wonder why the straps don't wear thin and break when they are looped through the bottom?

I know this sounds dumb, but who is surprised by that, is there a tire that works best? There are a lot of tires out there.

Thanks

Little Rickie

Yo LR,
I haven't made a pair of these, sorry. I'm just addicted to the Instructables.com website and remember running across the "instructable" not too long ago.
There's a link from that article to another one that uses rubber straps to connect the nylon to the soles; that might wear a little tougher.

That's OK. But the question remains, has anyone made sandles from tires? I'd like to know more first hand information from a live person who has done it.
Sorry--I also haven't tried it myself either. However, sandals made from old tires are pretty popular through much of the third world.

Just read a book about the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico's Copper Canyon (famous for their ultra-running skills). They make running sandals from old tires... ("Born to Run", by Christopher McDougall. http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidd...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276215530&sr=8-1 Neat book.)

So while I can't give you any specifics on how to do it, I assure you that many have done so and, properly done, they are very serviceable.

Doug

Back when I was in college, I knew a few professors who had been POW's in VietNam...they had made their own sandals from tires while residents of the famed Hanoi Hilton.

Sorry--I also haven't tried it myself either. /QUOTE]

Frankly I'm a little surprised. I was counting on you.

Just read a book about the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico's Copper Canyon (famous for their ultra-running skills). They make running sandals from old tires... ("Born to Run", by Christopher McDougall

Great minds think alike. I just finished the book and it was the inspiration on finding out how to make them. I now also exercise more bare foot too. Not running yet but walking stairs, doing steps and 15% on the treadmill slow.

So while I can't give you any specifics on how to do it, I assure you that many have done so and, properly done, they are very serviceable.

Come on man! Who's going to make them first. I'll be keeping an eye open for a tire that isn't steel belted so I can cut it easier. All tires are tough, I don't think I need steel belted sandles.

Think of it as a science experiment. :)

Frankly I'm a little surprised. I was counting on you.
I have to leave a little research and adventure for others... :)

Besides, I'm happy with my Chacos.

Great minds think alike. I just finished the book and it was the inspiration on finding out how to make them. I now also exercise more bare foot too.
Yeah--it was a neat book. It made me think more about barefoot too. (I have had knee and lower leg problems which have required arch support--maybe there is another way...)

Unfortunately, there was almost no info in the book on the Tarahumara sandals. I was planning on seeing what I could find on the net, but haven't gotten to it yet.

Doug

Last edited:
I have to leave a little for others... :)

Besides, I'm happy with my Chacos.
Doug

There is happiness in doing something just for fun. :D

You're just not cheap enough to be motivated.:p

Yeah--it was a neat book. It made me think more about barefoot too. (I have had knee and lower leg problems which have required arch support--maybe there is another way...)

My shins bother me when I try to jog or walk real fast. I've been doing the bare foot thing about three weeks now. Starting out real easy. Being a big boy my focus is to build more lower body strength to support the pounding I give it while trying to build up some run walking.

I ran before I had kids, 23 years ago. Running now will make my climbing more fun but it's a witch now too.

Unfortunately, there was almost no info in the book on the Tarahumara sandals. I was planning on seeing what I could find on the net, but haven't gotten to it yet.

Theres lots on the internet but it's like this string, I don't know a real person that has done it.

research and adventure
Aren't they the same thing? ;)

Latest posts