Spring thoughts already

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So after the sun starts to be high in the sky, I'd like to read about everyones dreams for there first weekend in spring. What's the first Hike of spring??
In spring, I will avoid the 'middle' hikes. In other words, the places that are likely to be muddy, half melted, and disgusting. I'll either go way up high or stay way down low.

Dam, I'm still dreaming about winter. You're going to make my head hurt.

What's your definition of spring? Lawyers, a little help please. ;)

The first weekend of spring?

The first weekend I feel like hiking in the spring?

Anytime during the spring?

I like spring just as the leaves start breaking out of the buds on warm clear day, light breez, no bugs, cold nights, dry conditions but snow could be on the ground. The hike could be in Mendon Ponds Park, Indian Hill, or someplace else local so I can get out quick when the conditions are right and soak it up.

Last edited:
I'm with Adam - I'm still thinking about what winter hikes I want to do...yikes! I just pulled the snowshoes out today, so am not ready to think about putting them away yet.

But - if you insist...I'd like to get up to Fish Hawk Cliffs in the spring, and visit Fairy Ladder Falls along the way.

Over the past 35 or so years I've been on Marcy a number of times on Easter and always feel like I should be there on Easter. One year we buried plastic easter eggs with notes in them in one of the larger cairns near the summit.

But, yeah, let's enjoy some winter first !

I'm with Adam - I'm still thinking about what winter hikes I want to do...yikes! I just pulled the snowshoes out today, so am not ready to think about putting them away yet.

But - if you insist...I'd like to get up to Fish Hawk Cliffs in the spring, and visit Fairy Ladder Falls along the way.

LEt me know i am in for that!

Me too (along with Indian Head)...after I get Colvin & Blake...or maybe before :confused: I'm guessing the route over to Blake and back would be pretty muddy in the spring, from what I've read.

Ok,,,ok i maybe a little ahead of time tables...:D My first I hope is to do the Cranberry 50 just to streach the leggs. I know is not a real peak but hey winters long and ill need something to start off with. I guess spring is when most of the snow has melted...

Ok,,,ok i maybe a little ahead of time tables...:D My first I hope is to do the Cranberry 50 just to streach the leggs. I know is not a real peak but hey winters long and ill need something to start off with. I guess spring is when most of the snow has melted...
Why stop in Winter?

Even if you do not hike, by all means stay in shape somehow!

And no, the snow does not always melt in the spring! :D

I remember that we had a few "wishful thinking" snow threads just as the fall foliage season was starting. So turn about is fair play.

Winter and summer are such long seasons that you can just head out on any given day and find good conditions somewhere, fairly much on demand. By contrast spring and autumn are such fleeting, short seasons, with only a few optimal days at any particular location. Even though fall foliage is just winding up here in the Hudson Valley I am already thinking about next year's fall foliage season. I am making lists of places that I did not have time to visit, or where I missed the peak foliage.

Spring is perhaps even more fleeting than autumn. All too often we seem to go directly from winter to summer. It is a challenge to hit those few days precisely at leaf-out when everything is bathed in that beautiful new light shade of green; or when the trees are flowering; or when the wild flowers are in full bloom; or when the faucets on the waterfalls are fully open. I have the luxury of having many small nature preserves at low elevations in the Hudson Valley. Usually the first spring hikes are in the Hudson Highlands not far north of New York City, often waterfall hikes. Then I am often trying to time the flowering of the peach orchards followed by the apple orchards. Wildflowers are next. The best spring hikes seem to be in the valleys, at the time when the melting snow has become ugly in the mountains and is flooding the trails. Later it is fun to follow spring as it climbs the slopes. No, it is never too early to start planning. :D

Tom, my winter does not stop but most hiking does slow as im not geared for that yet...my winters consist of a ski-doo and couple thousand miles around this great state we call New york..so when the snow for riding is here you can find me at some remote place with my pals enjoying winter from someplaces that can only reach by sled that time of yr. just looking for the best trails and next places to visit.. its a blast!

Last edited: