St Patrick's Day Hike Monroe/Jefferson

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
Hi all,
Planning to hike either or, or both on Friday the 17th. This hike is totally weather dependant. I will figure out the logistics and trails and such tonight and post, but just wanted to get this out in case anyone has Friday off and is looking to get out there!

Maybe we can find a pot of gold up there!

Christine

Count me in as a highly likely participant. I have all 4 Northern prezzies to knock off this weekend, looks like our plans could align. I may take Thursday off as well but will definitely be north for at least a three day weekend.
Damon

Here are Plan A & Plan B...

Okay, here goes, thank you Big Earl for the solution!

If the weather is PERFECT;
Park at the Cog, Up Jewell to Gulfslide over to Jefferson Loop.
Back down to Gulfslide and up to Washington.
Down Crawford to Monroe.
Back to Lakes and down the Ammonoosuc Ravine trail to the cars.
Book time for this is about 11.5 hours.

If weather is NOT PERFECT;
Ammonoosuc Ravine to Monroe and out.
Book time is 3 hours up to Monroe.

The base road is still closed, so that adds to the trip.

The sun rises at 6, and we will have a whopping 12 hours of daylight, So, I am thinking of getting to the trailhead at 7 if the weather is PERFECT and 9 if it is not.

Christine

sent you a private message with contact info, looks like it will be breezy either day but Friday will hopefully be the less harsh day.

Base Road closed????

Christine,

Unless something has recently changed, Base Road is open. The normal hiker lot is closed, however. Hikers may park at Marshfield Station. I believe they ask that we park in the lower lot.

A parking pass may be required. I've parked there without a problem, but I have a pass. Not sure - it's worth a call, (800) 922-8825.

Earl

That would be GREAT!! I was told to just hitch a ride with snowmobilers... But if we could park at the trailhead, well, all the better. Thanks for the info. I guess I will make the call on Thursday night if I am going to try for one peak or all 3.

This hike is ON!! When speaking of parking passes, are we talking about the WMNF sticker?
I will check the weather around noon tomorrow and make the decision so that we can all make our plans accordingly.
Thanks to everyone for the road info!

chinooktrail said:
This hike is ON!! When speaking of parking passes, are we talking about the WMNF sticker?

Pretty sure that is what BigEarl meant. Not needed at the Cog parking lot - sould only be needed if you parked at the Hiker Parker lot (or in front of since it is gated and not plowed) which is just before the Cog Railroad on the right. We've parked at the Cog several times this year with no issues.

That's correct, a WMNF sticker.

I recall reading a post a while ago that mentioned the possibility of a fee being charged by the Cog operators. It was waived if the vehicle displayed a WMNF Parking Pass.

Since I have a pass, it registered as something with which I didn't need to be concerned.

I'm not sure where I read the post. Perhaps a VFTT entry, a notice on a Forest Service site, an entry on one of the private sites dedicated to matters related to hiking??? I don't recall.

Evidently it isn't anything to worry about.

Sorry (the sky isn't falling after all),
Earl

Okay, I am set. I have my shiny new sticker to put on the car. It is sounding like the most confusing part of this hike will be the parking!! It is still looking like it is going to be cold and windy tomorrow, but clear... Hum, what to do. I will think about this some more and post later tonight what my plans are for a start time. If you two decide to start earlier that is fine, we can alwys try to meet up on the trail or at the hut. Be safe and stay warm! Christine

that pass is good for the camping as well - like CMR, etc...

I have been watchinh the weather (winds really) pretty closely for my sat trip and I think fri and sat will be windy - but not as windy if you know what I mean - I am going to take a guess and say 50-60 up high with some higher gusts. I think it will be less than what the observ reported this am for friday. but hell - who the heck am I??- not Al Roker thats for sure. ;)

have fun - bring that facemask!

"OUR LOW PRESSURE AREA OVER THE CANADIAN MARITIMES WILL STAY ANCHORED
ABOUT WHERE IT IS THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS... ALTHOUGH FORECASTS
SHOW IT WEAKENING THROUGH THE PERIOD. THIS SHOULD HELP TO REDUCE
THE WIND SPEEDS...
BUT OUR COOLER THAN NORMAL TEMPERATURES ARE GOING
TO PERSIST INTO THE WEEKEND. ANY MOISTURE THAT WRAPS AROUND THIS
WEATHER SYSTEM WILL PRODUCE FLURRIES OVER THE MOUNTAINS."