stooopid sign

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I don't believe it. I was coming down from indian falls today and saw something I couldn't believe. A kid about 18 or 19 years old, was going to climb Marcy, and had bare feet and flip-flops! I wanted so badly to say "here's your sign"

I've seen barefoot hikers in the Daks and the Whites. Hey, it works for some people, they've been doing it a long time. Not that it's for me, but it does seem to work for some folk.

-dave-

The porters in the Annapurna region with 75+ lbs of Coke and Fanta bottles in wooden frames, carrying the loads with tump straps, walking barefoot or in flipflops over rough terrain at 13,000' were pretty amazing.

As I was coming down Algonquin I met a barefoot hiker headed up. He was asking me questions about my hiking poles, I was asking him questions about barefoot hiking. Looked like we were both having a fine day.

-dave-

A couple years ago friends of mine tried to catch a young woman ahead of them doing the same hike... Haystack, Basin and Saddleback! They saw the barefoot prints on the rocks and that's as close as they got. I saw her the next day hiking out of the woods with a full backpack, smile bigger than any you see on the trails. And still barefoot.

A few people have done the whole 46 barefoot. And could out-hike you or I any day of the week.

It's been debated here in the past, but it works for some folks. I don't make a regular practice of barefoot hiking, but go bare-soled every month or so when terrain is suitable. Well-duffed forest trails and stone stairs are one thing, but I don sandals for most bushwhacks and above-treeline talus -- as well as whenever I feel like it.

When I was younger (say, below the age of majority) folks would stop me to inquire or criticize. I remember one Franconia Ridge loop where over a dozen parties questioned what I was doing, ranging from friendly curiosity to righteous attempts to convince me to turn around. I felt somewhat bad that the latter type was frustrated by my lack of desire to shoe-up -- my sandals were clipped to my pack in plain sight -- but not bad enough to strap in. With a bit more age, the "helpful hints" have declined; it's been a while since anyone has tried to stop me, though folks are still somewhat curious.

Sometimes, I will admit that going barefoot is just plain silly. On one hike up Red Hill (Moultonborough, NH) of all places, I found my limit -- couldn't will myself to take another unshod step. Literally -- I tried to rally myself for half a minute, but was unwilling to go farther without strapping on. (That sharp, rotten gravelly rock near the summit was unbearable by the time I was descending.) With sandals on, the short low-elevation hike was delightfully easy to continue. By contrast, longer rambles in the Evans Notch area have friendlier footings, and I can go for miles worry-free when I feel like it.

As the neo-proverb says, your mileage may vary. I realize that folks out to shoe the unshod are merely well-wishers, but remember that some of the barefoot masses do know what they're doing.

With good boots my feet get raw after 15 miles, I can't imagine the callous on those feet! lol

The question is: Is he an experienced hiker who likes to hike in flip-flops, or some ignorant fool who has no clue what conditions to expect on top of a 5200' mountain?

I saw people hiking up Whiteface (NY) in sneakers on Columbus Day weekend last year. Of course, they were complaining about how cold and wet their feet were. I wanted to shout, "Do you think that could be due to the 8" of snow on the ground? The snow you can easily see from Lake Placid Village? The snow you could see from the road as you approached the mountain!?!?!" Oye... don't get me started :D

Barefoot?

I have heard of this but never witnessed it. I can remember about 10 years ago I hiked Algonquin with my mom and dad. My mom was hiking in sneakers and just after about 1 mile on the trail we ran into a ranger. He tried convincing my mother to turn around. She look right at him and said "I have been hiking for years in sneakers and nothing will change my mind" I thought the ranger was going to punch her....lol She always told me her feet felt to restricted in boots! So all people have different ways of hiking which is whats makes us all unique in our own ways :)

Maybe he's on a budget and can't afford shoes.
An AMC person once told me that they have had women go up (or try to) hike Tuckerman's with high heels on.
I'm with Rico. Don't get me started!!!
My Limmers saved me several times last week when we were hiking in the Whites. I won't be trading them in any time soon.
Maddy

The funniest footwear story I have took place on Mt. Glastonbury in VT. After hiking all day in wet, cool, fall weather, we arrived at the shelter. We were soaking wet, and it had been a tough day for everyone at the shelter I think, because we arrived at 4:30 to find a shelter full of slumberers. We made dinner, and were in our sacks by 8pm.

The next morning we awoke, and there were two people out on the porch that had arrived while we slept. Over breakfast we listened to this girl brag on and on about how great it was hiking in her Tevas with Wool socks. She claimed that her feet were still warm, despite the utter lack of footwear. We all just kind of looked on, smiling and nodding. The trail was riddled with puddles, and rocks, and stream crossings.

The couple headed out, about 1/2 hour before us. We ate a leisurely breakfast, and then packed up. We caught up with them after about 1/2 hour of hiking. We joyfully passed the chatterbox, while feeling sorry for her boyfriend. He clearly was in over his head, but at least she was enjoying the trip.... Anyway, we always remember that when we think of hiking at Glastonbury.

-percious

Back in 1991 I hiked Mt. Marcy for the first time and upon making trailhead with a couple buddies, I realized that I had left my boots sitting on my doorstep at home.

Of course I was much younger and more carefree at the time, so rather than whimp out on my buds, I proceeded to hike in my sneakers. It was October and still a little dry and, if anyone knows that hike-even in 1991-it was a pretty well worn path. My feet were tired but no worse for the wear aside from slight arch soreness.

I've always wanted to duplicate that experience so I think I've found out how...I'm climbing Marcy barefoot next time I go just to see what people say to me! :D

Sing it with me: "I'm too sexy for my..............boots. I'm too sexy for my boots." :cool:

Unless it's full pack, or in the colder months, I hike almost exclusively in sneakers. I have had numerous foot issues, ranging from broken bones to bunyon surgery. Sneakers just feel better.

As for the barefeet, not for me! However, closest I have is that a friend of mine swore off shoes for an entire summer. He only wore shoes where they were required by law. His feet were black by September.....

Exactly Ridgerunner!

That will solve ALL of my questions about other people regardless of the situation. I will just ask. Maybe I will just start now.

All of you posters on this forum who are abusing their freedom of speech, PLEASE STEP FORWARD!

Double;)

Doc McPeak said:
A few people have done the whole 46 barefoot. And could out-hike you or I any day of the week.

No Just one. Elliot.

I've done Marcy, Giant (twice) Dix, and Noonmark barefoot.

An interesting thing several years ago... The spring blowdown sweep of Dix. On the return, crossing the Boquet at the leanto. The water was high, so I took off my boots to cross barefoot. It felt good, so, while snacking at the leanto, I decided to keep them off for the walk out.

There was a boyscout group (or someting like that) camped there. My son heard the leader giving lessons to the kids. He was talking about the importnace of good footware as I walked by, in the snow, barefoot. They looked at me with a strange look on their face.

BTW calouses onthe feet. They form from the boots rubbing. When I climbed Nonmark (we were camped off the Dix trail on a multi-day trailcrew outing), I did it because my feet were sore from the boots. It was much easier to do it barefoot than with a boot that was giving me a blister.

Last edited:
I stand corrected. I have only been hiking for 5 years and have not seen the things you guys have seen. I just thought is was unusual. I would never say anything to another hiker just becouse I would not want to upset them. Sandles maybe becouse you are strapped into them. Bare feet if you can stand it. But flip flops? they dont have any grip and coming down marcy's rockface you could easily slip out of the flips. To each his own I guess. I stick to my new boots that grip like glue.

Playing devils advocate

I certainly am a big proponent of "hike your own hike", and if I get one more "I remember when they walked by this morning, I'm can't believe how long they let those children hike for" (a recent overheard comment at JLB as we strolled by at 8:30 PM) I'm gonna get real annoyed.

However..............................

To play devils advocate, many of the points above are very valid, there are sherpas, porters, and mountain folk all over the world that carry huge loads barefoot and have since birth. Hell, in days of ole, the ladies used to hike these hills in dresses. There are also many of you guys that have hiked our fair mountains for many, many years. Pete Hickey probably got more miles on (and off) ADK trails than the total mileage on my well-used 8 year old Chevy ;).

There is no doubt that for many of you guys, shoes, sandals moccasins, flip flops, glass slippers, or whatever feels real nice and is a delightful change of pace. I think the initial point being made (and shouldn't be missed by many who may stroll in and read this thread) is;

For the weekend warrior (such as myself and likely, the majority of 18-19 y/o hikers hiking Marcy) proper consideration for safety should be given. I'm real lucky if I can get 20-25 high peaks in each year and I've not had YEARS to strengthen ankle joints, develop foot calluses that would allow me to hike in anything other than well supported, sturdy soled hiking shoes/boots.

Hell, I wouldn't attempt Mt. Jo barefoot, as I'm quite sure a "certain to occur" misstep would cause my foot and ankle to completely separate from each other :) and necessitate an embarrassing rescue. The chances of injury go up exponentially for the unprepared hiker, and for the MAJORITY hiking a mountain like MARCY (18 miles RT), in anything other than sturdy shoes is UNPREPARED.

I can't speak for ADK-dib, but I think that was his main point. If your gonna hike an 18 mile round trip, 5300+ mountain, you ought to make sure that YOU are properly prepared (within your own abilities) for the undertaking. In his estimation, this kid wasn't. WE'VE ALL SEEN THAT BEFORE.

No offense to any of the previous posters of course, but, even with my "hike your own hike" mentality, I can see where the initial poster is coming from. :)

Last edited: