Strange temperatures this morning!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
At 6:52 AM:

Berlin: -18
Whitefield: -18

Plymouth: +12
Laconia: +12

About 30 degrees difference between north and south of the notches!!

My plan was to hike Galehead today, will probably do Sandwich instead.

"North of Notches" really means something in winter. That's a pretty amazing difference. Wise choice on Sandwich Dome.

-dave-

I used to have a thermometer in my old car. I would get a kick out of watching the temp change as I drove through Franconia Notch. Sometimes it would fall a degree or two every 30 seconds.

Persistent temp differences

Yesterday I checked the temps to decide where to hike; today I repeated out of curiosity. At 7 AM:

Berlin: -6
Whitefield: -22

Plymouth: +3
Laconia: +5

There are links to all four current conditions pages on my weather page.

miehoff said:
I used to have a thermometer in my old car. I would get a kick out of watching the temp change as I drove through Franconia Notch. Sometimes it would fall a degree or two every 30 seconds.

I just bought a used car (97 Saab) with an outdoor thermometer, and it is so coooolllll. I watched the thermometer rise from about 6 F from south of Franconia Notch to about 29 F on my 2-hour drive south to the Boston area on Tuesday morning.

About a year after the original post, same thing.

This morning we were hiking Waumbeck. Got into my car in Thornton, about +8F. Shortly after crossing Franconia Notch I glanced at the thermometer: -8F. Fluctuated (staying below zero at all times) until we reached the trailhead, where it was -9F.

NWS temps at 7 AM:

Plymouth: +10F
Whitefield: -13F

Fortunately no wind, so we had a wonderful hike.

In Twin Mountain this morning

We woke at 6:20 AM to temps at -4. It slowly fell until it hit -11 at 7:45. We started our hike at 9 at Clinton Road with temp at -9. IT got up to about 10 degrees on Eisenhower in the sunshine (what a perfect day to be out there!) and was down to 3 degrees at 7:30 PM.