Sunday 12/23 - Hancocks, Monday 12/24 - Cannon

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Currently planning to hike on Sunday, 12/23, with a target of Hancocks or Kinsmans. I'm waiting for the forecast to settle a bit - better weather prefer Kinsmans. Of course, if a lot of people want the Hancocks, that will be a determining factor.

Planning on 8AM start, from either the Mount Kinsman Trail (west) or from the hairpin on the Kanc.

Tentatively planning to grab Cannon on Monday morning as well, plans TBD (Kinsman Ridge Trail/Tram lot, most likely)

These trips are recommended for experienced winter hikers. Please contact me, or post here, if interested, and I'll confirm some time tomorrow afternoon.

Tim

I have tentative plans to hike Cannon on Monday as well, though not carved in stone as of yet.

Hancocks it is, 8am boots-on-trail, from the hairpin on the Kanc. Here is the weather forecast:

NOAA point forecast for the Hancocks: Mostly sunny, with a high near 16. Wind chill values as low as -37. Very windy, with a northwest wind 36 to 44 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph.

NOAA 4000+ Recreational forecast:
.SUNDAY...CLOUDY. HIGHS 9 TO 19 ABOVE. NORTHWEST WINDS AROUND 60 MPH
BECOMING WEST AND DECREASING TO AROUND 50 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON. AT
ELEVATIONS ABOVE 5000 FEET...NORTHWEST WINDS AROUND 90 MPH BECOMING
WEST AND DECREASING TO AROUND 75 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND CHILL
VALUES AS LOW AS 52 BELOW.

I am bringing a balaclava and goggles even though it is mostly sheltered. I would not recommend this trip for beginners. Please let me know if you will be coming...

Also, Cannon looks reasonable solid for Monday, 8AM from the TRAM lot, but will confirm tomorrow evening.

Tim

Last edited:
See you at 8! That forecast looks a little better that the one from the Mt Washington Observatory.

Tomorrow:

Mostly in the clouds under mostly cloudy skies w/ a chance of snow showers

Highs: lower single digits; Wind chills 30-40 below°F

Wind: NW shifting W 85-105 mph decreasing to 60-80 mph w/ higher gusts

I think Marlie will have to sit this one out.