Super Bowl - need I say...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubba

Reaction score
It's awfully quiet on the subject today...

I know that this is safe territory as I remember VFTT Home pages with Patriot Logos in years past. Besides, I can tie into NE hiking...

You see, being from the Buffalo Bills home market (of which now includes Toronto :rolleyes: ) I know what losing is all about. :eek:

I'm hear to express my sympathy for what may have been my part in the Patriots losing there 19th in a row attempt. I HAD to pick someone, and I thought I'd rather take side with most of my NE HIKING friends for this venue (my socks, however, are still WHITE). I yelled and hollared for the NE Team in a room filled with slobbering, load, nearly drunk, snarly Giants fans - I was practically alone... my life may have been in jeopardy! I had jumped on what I thought was a winning bandwagon...

But no... I must have been that dagger, that final stab, that led to a final defeat. My sympathy, sincere and truthful. :p

still can't... speak... in... full.. sentences.

talk more next week.

In my mind it was the idiot DJ at the Loon Mtns. Bunyan Room Tavern handing out "NE Patriots Superbowl XXLII Champion" beanies, and people actually wearing them on Saturday that ruined it. Made me sick at the time and gave me a bad feeling, which unfortunately panned out. You're in the clear. ;)

Where was our O-Line? Now I can't watch Sportscenter for at least another 2 weeks. :(

TDawg said:
In my mind it was the idiot DJ at the Loon Mtns. Bunyan Room Tavern handing out "NE Patriots Superbowl XXLII Champion" beanies, and people actually wearing them on Saturday that ruined it. (

Stupid DJ should be flogged.

I think the Tom Coughlin's decision to play the Pats tough during Week 17 (when they had nothing to play for) was a key decision for them. If they layed down in Week 17 and got blown out, there's no way they would have won the Super Bowl. Swapping punches with the Pats at Giant Stadium gave them the confidence they needed. Great coaching by Coughlin.

bob

Fair and square

No controversy, no nothing. Giants were better on offense and defense and special teams.
In retrospect, the Pats should have tried the field goal instead of 4th and 13.

It's ironic that a team that's 14-6 is champion over a team that's 18-1 but that's they way it works and my tip of the tequila to the Giants for a well played game. You might say they were more juiced up than the Pats.

Like safe hiking, the outcome of this game came down to a matter of inches ... a possible interception, a near sack, a dramatic catch between hand and helmet ... a fraction of an inch and the result is different.

jjmcgo said:
No controversy, no nothing. Giants were better on offense and defense and special teams.
In retrospect, the Pats should have tried the field goal instead of 4th and 13.
Bingo, pride goeth before a fall... They went for the knockout punch and it bit them on the a--

TDawg said:
Now I can't watch Sportscenter for at least another 2 weeks. :(

You will be seeing that Manning escape and Tyree reception in the last drive forever.....

This game will get compared to the Celtics of 86 and 87... The Celts stole a title in 86 and blew a title in 87. The Pats stole a title is 2001, but blew this one. Bigger, tho, they blew a chance at immortality.. and of course verbally killing Maurice Morris. OK - getting angry again...

chomp said:
The Pats stole a title is 2001, but blew this one. Bigger, tho, they blew a chance at immortality.. and of course verbally killing Maurice Morris. OK - getting angry again...
And one would think they would be extra mindful of an upset as many of this year's core players were on that surprise team in '01. I think they should have kicked a field goal on 4th and 13, but the bigger issue is tackling... They need to bring in a fundamentals coach to re-teach that subject. Three guys had a hand on Manning and couldn't bring him down. A sack on 3rd and 5 ends the game and the pats are 19-0. Same with Kevin Boss' 46 yard reception - it would have been 1/3 that distance if Harrison wrapped him up and brought him down when he first hit him after the catch. Brady and the offense gave them a shot to win despite the pass rush. It's up to the defense to make a stop, and they didn't get it done.

Those "Humble Pie" shirts should have been put on during halftime.

I think the dumb Boston sports writers that had already finished the book, "19-0" about their season jinxed them. Wonder how many copies that book will sell now...I also saw Giants superbowl sweatshirts at a sporting store today. Just wondering how many millions of Patriot champions sweatshirts were made and what do they do with them now? Sell them in China?

I am already stocking up on anti-depressants just knowing that Eli will get as many commercials next year as Peyton. I can withstand one Peyton Manning commercial during every tv break while watching the Pats, but if I have to endure a Peyton commercial and then an Eli commercial back to back, i may just shoot myself. I am happy that Michael Strahan finally won the big one, but oh man hearing Eli do interviews is painful to the ears. What language does he speak? Just to make this hiking appropriate,

I like hiking.

When a championship goes down to a single game anything can happen.....hit crossbar, 1 foot out of bounds, missed tackle.....everyone has to have a perfect game.....that's almost impossible.....that's why I love March Madness college hoops, cinderella teams go on a run, each game is do or die....gotta love sports....but the $ that it costs... :mad:

4th & Dumb

coldfeet said:
When a championship goes down to a single game anything can happen.....hit crossbar, 1 foot out of bounds, missed tackle.....everyone has to have a perfect game.....that's almost impossible.....

Exactly, most sports - and particularly team sports - are games of the slightest incremental differences when played at the highest levels. And THAT is why there should never be a bonehead coaching/strategic blunder - because it can decide the game. Most strategic decisions, especially those made well before the end of the game, are gimmies! Let the players decide the game, not a stupid coaching decision...

Bellicose missed a gimmie decision by not attempting a 45+ yard field goal in a dome w/ no wind. The odds were probably about 75% he would have made it. He was stroking them through from 50+ in the warm ups. It was 4th and 13, not 4th and 2. The only consoideration should have been field goal or punt, not whether to go for it. B went for a knockout punch and whiffed...

What I want to know is whether Brady was 100%. He seemed to miss a few throws he usually doesn't. Coulda been the ankle. Ih he wasn't 100% then the 4th and long call was extra dumb...

Just my view...

Everyone knows that Belichick always has an answer for any scheme that's thrown at them... They didn't blow it...they weren't out coached...The Pats (especially Brady and OF line) were beaten up! The Giants had to get to Brady BIG TIME, and take away their weapons, which left the QB with only the short Welker dumpoffs. If the Pats did win, Welker would be MVP, but the Giants simply outplayed them.

Chomp, why do you think the Celtics stole the title in 1986? They went 67-15, best record in the league; lost one game at home all season; and nearly went the entire regular season without losing twice to any one team (miracle shot by Dr. J. gave Philly a second win against the Celts).

Okay, they played Houston in the finals rather than the Lakers, but that’s hardly the Celtics’ fault; and the Rockets did fairly defeat L.A. The Celtics were clearly the best team in the league.

In ’87, on the other hand, Walton wasn’t nearly as effective as he’d been the year before and McHale had a sprained ankle throughout the playoffs. They were fortunate to survive the Hawks in the first round (remember Bird and Dominique’s mano-a-mano in Game 7? Luckier yet to get by the Pistons in the Eastern finals (Bird’s steal off Isaiah and feed to D.J. underneath winning Game 5 with one second to play, and Dantley’s concussion helping make the Game 7 win possible). I think they may have been the first team to win two Game Sevens in one playoff season (but don’t quote me on that). They weren’t able to beat the Lakers in L.A., but I wouldn’t call that ‘‘blowing’’ the championship. Remember, too, that that was the year the finals format was changed from 2-2-1-1-1 to 2-3-2, so that also worked against the Green.

And by the way — yay, Giants! 73-0, huh? Screw you, (Dan) Shaughnessy.

bubba said:
But no... I must have been that dagger, that final stab, that led to a final defeat. My sympathy, sincere and truthful. :p

I'll take some of the heat off of you on this one. In the past I have not been a big Football Fan. In fact on most Super Bowl days I am usually Hiking or Skiing.This year with the Pats winning so much that changed. I pretty much watched every game. In fact I probably watched more Football this year than the rest of all other seasons combined. Next year I'll go back to hiking and skiing ;)

skiguy said:
Next year I'll go back to hiking and skiing ;)
I was skiing the Stowe woods all day, drove home listening to the game on the radio, and got in just in time to watch the last 1:30 of the game...

The hill was madly empty and found some fresh in the woods...

Me, you, and Bubba know where it's at ;)

cbcbd said:
I was skiing the Stowe woods all day, drove home listening to the game on the radio, and got in just in time to watch the last 1:30 of the game...

Oh.. and I forgot to charge my cell phone and missed the call!!
Pretty good day all around, I'd say. :p

cbcbd said:

I had a similar experience in the Daks a few years ago. That night I slept in my car after only having listen to the first quarter and was too whooped to stay up. The next morning I awoke to the Janet Jackson scandal on the radio. I literally thought it was some Morning AM disc Jockey Joke until I kept hearing about it on different stations. It was like can you say "Whaaat???" :rolleyes: :p