Technical printing question.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know the 8x10 size is a hold over from 4x5 cameras, but this is a society of "I want easy, I want it now, I want it cheap". I am surprised that the masses aren't upset when they shoot a 35mm picture, get a 8x10 print and realize that 1/6 of the photo has been thrown away just because 8x10 is the standard from 4x5 cameras, which are in the minority.

- darren

darren said:
I know the 8x10 size is a hold over from 4x5 cameras, but this is a society of "I want easy, I want it now, I want it cheap". I am surprised that the masses aren't upset when they shoot a 35mm picture, get a 8x10 print and realize that 1/6 of the photo has been thrown away just because 8x10 is the standard from 4x5 cameras, which are in the minority.
You are assuming that the masses notice that part of the picture is missing...

Many, if not most, non-hobbist/non-pro photographers shoot prints. If the only thing that you look at is the final print, you won't notice how much more was on the negative. (The mass popularity of digital cameras may make the form-factor issues more obvious to many.)

Doug

Darren, I think if you want full-frame prints of modest size from your 35mm negatives you probably can have 8” x 12” prints made in the instant gratification (one-hour) cycle at most (many) local “consumer” processing labs these days. The print aspect ratio of 1:1.5 perfectly matches that of the 35mm film negative. It also matches the proportions of the sensor on my Nikon D2Hs and D1H cameras.

G.

Last edited:
Grumpy said:
The print aspect ratio of 1:15 perfectly matches that of the 35mm film negative. It also matches the proportions of the sensor on my Nikon D2Hs and D1H cameras.
The sensors on my Canon XTi (and I think all Canon DSLRs) also have an aspect ratio of 1.5.

Doug

Thinking about making a calendar...

I'm thinking about making a calendar from some of my photos from the past two years. This has been a helpful thread. Anyone have any thoughts that apply specifically to calendar printing? How about printer recommendations?

Tim

Grumpy said:
Darren, I think if you want full-frame prints of modest size from your 35mm negatives you probably can have 8” x 12” prints made in the instant gratification (one-hour) cycle at most (many) local “consumer” processing labs these days. The print aspect ratio of 1:1.5 perfectly matches that of the 35mm film negative. It also matches the proportions of the sensor on my Nikon D2Hs and D1H cameras.

G.

True, but try finding pre-cut matts and frames for them. Not easy and very few options.

- darren

bikehikeskifish said:
I'm thinking about making a calendar from some of my photos from the past two years. This has been a helpful thread. Anyone have any thoughts that apply specifically to calendar printing? How about printer recommendations?

Tim

I did one a few years ago and ended up having them done at Kincos for about $20 for each calender. It ended up being cheaper than printing them off on my own printer.

darren said:
True, but try finding pre-cut matts and frames for them. Not easy and very few options.

Good grief, Darren! You are a hard to please customer, that's for sure.

(But I feel your pain, Man.)

For a few years I did an annual photo of our community band on stage, and offered nice 8" x 12" prints cheap to my fellow band members. They loved the photos, but after getting their prints several people inevitably asked, "now what do I do with the things?" The mat-frame business was vexing for everyone.

G.

Grumpy said:
Good grief, Darren! You are a hard to please customer, that's for sure.

"I want it now, I want it cheap, I want it easy" :D

- darren

ps: one place I have found with an ok option for 8x12 prints is AC Moore art stores. They have pre-cut white matts that are 12x16 with 8x12 openings and standard plain black metal 12x16 frames. They are ok if you are into the museum look. They have 30% or 40% off sales on frames fairly often so I stock up then. Not everyone wants the museum look in their house though. The cost of custom matts and frames drove me to start cutting my own matts and making my own frames. There is a learning curve for sure though.