thanksgiving hiking in NH?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arghman

Reaction score
Goffstown, NH Avatar: No Once-lers or thneeds
Anyone doing any moderate hiking in NH during Thanksgiving weekend?
If I don't make other plans, they default to spending time with relatives. :eek:

I saw a few thanksgiving trips in the AMC magazine but two of them were above my budget and the third was in North Conway which I refuse to set foot in again.

arghman said:
I saw a few thanksgiving trips in the AMC magazine but two of them were above my budget and the third was in North Conway which I refuse to set foot in again.
Don't rule out N Conway. In the off season it's a very nice place, and it's very nice up there this time of year.

-dave-

I've been toying with a Whites Thanksgiving weekend. I haven't decided if it would be car base camping or a base camp backpack. I'm thinking of the Carter range or the Tripyramind area, but I'm open to ideas, I just want an area I haven't been to yet. I was planning on finalizing when I had a better idea of my family obligations or lack of them as well as the snow road closure situation. I was going to do some canvassing for interest at this weekends bushwack not so mini gathering.

My wife and I will be spending Thanksgiving alone this year so we plan to do a short hike while the turkey is in the oven. Since we are only a stone’s throw from Welsh/Dickey, we will probably do that for the umpteenth time this year. Maybe on Saturday we will do something a little more challenging.

Nadine said:
I'm going to be skiing at Sunday River on Thanksgiving day. I'm planning on apres ski at the Matterhorn (wood fired pizza) if anyone is in the 'hood.

I'd join you there for a cold one but I'll be OUT of town that day. I haven't been on the mountain yet but know many who have and they report really good conditions.
-veg

Weather permitting, I'm looking at day-hiking Scar Ridge from the Kanc the day before Thanksgiving. Probably starting from the Big Rock campground around 9 AM. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Edit - Well, Wednesday looks like crap so it's out. I'll probably wind up doing something on Friday but I may stay closer to home and do Pitchoff instead. Good luck to all.

Last edited:
Eisenhauer on Friday

Weather permitting, I'll be hiking up Eisenhower on Friday.

Cabot and Waumbek sounds nice too, alas, being a Bostonian I'm without a car so I can only hike when I've got a ride with others.

I might be up for something! Lemme see how the planning for that weekend goes...

MadRiver said:
Since we are only a stone’s throw from Welsh/Dickey, we will probably do that for the umpteenth time this year.
Welch/Dickey sounds about right (my long-distance hiking skills go into hibernation right about now), though I worry about the ice...

Do they serve Thanksgiving at AMC Pinkham Notch? I had been going to Cardigan Lodge for the past few years but it's closed for construction now, and they had been slowly killing the ambiance of Thanksgiving anyway.
:(