The 48 Direttissima 8/31-9-9

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mats Roing

Reaction score
The "Four Thousand Footers Direttissima" - that's what Henry T. Folsom (aka The Good Reverend) called this project in his write-up in the December 1971 issue of Appalachia. His idea was to "start at one end of the New Hampshire Four Thousand Footers and walk all the way to the other end in the fewest possible miles while passing over each of the forty-six summits". Back in 1971 Bondcliff and Galehead was not yet on the official list. He had three rules he followed:
1. Each summit should be reached by foot only.
2. He would walk the whole route - between the mountains as well as over them.
3. He would do no bushwhacking.

It took him 19 days to complete this. He slept 5 nights along the route, the remaining nights he slept at home, returning to the exact spot he finished the previous day. His route was measured to 245 miles. I figured mine would be 235 assuming Lincoln Slide and Firewarden Trail. Vertical feet I haven't calculated but I'm thinking at least 2.5 Hardrock 100 races.

The funny thing was that I came up with almost the exact itinerary as Henry before I read his story. It makes sense since it is a "natural" line to follow.....kind of.....

I want to up the ante a little by staying on route the whole time and bring everything with me from the start (except water). No pre-placed stashes of pickled herring etc. I plan to do the Lincoln Slide and the Fire Warden Trail (Hale). The Fire Warden Trail would probably not break rule nr 3 since the trail is in better condition that the other mapped trails going up Hale. The Lincoln Slide might be more controversial since it's not a real trail. On the other hand it was the route people usually went to get to Owl's Head before Franconia Brook Trail was established. So there might be further discussions with respect to Lincoln Slide and maybe the Firewarden trail.

This is my planned itinerary - I would welcome anyone who would like to jump in and hike with me any and all days:

Friday 8/31
Mossilauke via Beaver Brook Trail
Back and cross 112 to Kinsman Ridge Trail to Kinsmans
Cannon via Cannonballs
overnight at Lafayette Campground

Saturday 9/1
Up Falling Waters to Little haystack
Leave backpack and go down to Flume to tag it and Liberty
Up to Lincoln and Lafayette
Lincoln Slide down to Owl's Head
Franconia Brook Trail to Garfield Campsite
Tag Garfield in the evening

Sunday 9/2
Galehead Mtn
South Twin
North Twin
Hale via Fire Warden Trail
Zealand
Bonds
Overnight somewhere below Bonds

Monday 9/3
Hancocks
Osceoals
Tecumseh
Overnight somewhere before North Tripyramid

Tuesday 9/4
Pyramids
Whiteface via Sleepers
Passaconnaway
Cross Kanc via Oliverian Brook Trail
Overnight around Sawyer Pond Shelter

Wednesday 9/5
Carrigain
Willie
Field
Tom
Possible staying overnight at Ethan Pond campsite

Thursday 9/6
Tom, Field and Willey if not done already
Jackson
Pierce
Eisenhower
Monroe
Washington
Isolation
Staying overnight somewhere here

Friday 9/7
Wildcats via Boott Spur
Carters
Moriah
Overnight somewhere between Moriah and Dolly Copp

Saturday 9/8
Madison
Adams
Jefferson
Heading towards Waumbeck via Castle Ravine Trail
Staying overnight somewhere before Waumbeck

Sunday 9/9
Waumbeck
Kilkenny Ridge Trail to Cabot
Probably heading down to York Pond Trail

Several people have offered to help update the vftt thread. Hope to be able to call on a daily basis to someone for updates.

Please join in for one, a few or all legs! You can't give me food though unless the situation requires it. I hope unsupported still means that you can have moral support, right?

Hope to see you on the trail :)

Mats

Last edited:
Reactions: WSC
Here we go again... VFTT eXtReMe! Good luck Mats. Don't forget to bring extra TP if you start drinking that olive oil again...

"I want to up the ante a little" - I've heard that before. ;)

If I buy you a beer at the tram lodge on top of Cannon does it count as support?

mtnpa said:
If I buy you a beer at the tram lodge on top of Cannon does it count as support?

I believe that would fall in the "moral support" category so it should be OK ;)

They got to be open early in the morning though.....on top of Moosilauke might be better and then reason to celebrate....knock on wood...... :)

Mats..I'll bring the keg to Beaver Brook TH.
But someone else will have to carry it up.

Good Luck...I would love to do this trip someday but being an old fart :D it would take me way longer. :eek: I can remember reading Folsam's article at Mizpah one evening back in the early 80's thinking what a kool idea this was. Definitely adventerous by not making any stashes. :cool:

It said in the article that there was a shorter route that he didn't discover until later

I seem to recall that TS was thinking of a similar hike but don't know if he ever did it

I'm not quite sure why you want to carry all your stuff past several major roads

Good luck

Way 'core, dude

RoySwkr said:
I'm not quite sure why you want to carry all your stuff past several major roads

It's the same approach the founder of Go-Lite, Demetri Coupounas, used to set what is known as the "Alpine" speed record on the Long Trail, the John Muir Trail, etc., where you carry all your food from the start, ignoring roads and other possible support mechanisms. I am pretty sure he started on the LT with only 36 lbs, and actually thought he could pare it down to 27 if he had done it a bit differently.

Best of luck on this adventure Mats. I hope you can pencil in various VFTT folks to accompany you along the way and enrich your journey with their company. I'll be sure to do a few legs, provided I am allowed to take plenty of pictures. ;)

Good luck Mats! Hope I can join you for some part of your awesome adventure.

So what do you plan to do with the herring? Cut down the mightiest tree in the forest??? :D

Ni!!

What's with Swedes and travelling unsupported? Must be in the blood or something.

Soon you'll be telling us that you're biking to the start and then biking back to MA after the hike ;)

I'm sending strong vibes your way for crazy good weather and plenty of pearl jam berries along the way!!

man, Mats you are having all the fun. I'm jealous. I don't think I can make any legs with you as i'm going to a bike race labor day weekend. Maybe late in the trip, i'll try.

RoySwkr said:

It's more of a challenge to do it unsupported. It's good training to pack light and try to stay alive at the same time. Imagine you are up in northern Alaska and there were no roads at all. It's good training for that and you can bail out here and survive if things go sour. I'm going to try to pack all things into the Osprey Atmos 50 pack this weekend.....if too small I'll take the Atmos 65. Mostly freeze-dried food will be used. Sleeping bag weighs a little over 1 lbs. Using a 3/4 length sleeping pad (ProLite 3). Backpack will be used for the feet and legs. Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 is my tent. It's about 3lbs 9oz. I could go lighter here but for 10 days I like a little more space and comfort. Cooking equipment is a jetboil. There are lighter options here as well but I haven't done a whole lot of research into this area. I just know the jetboil is quick and efficient to use and I have used it a lot before. Two canisters should be enough fuel. I plan to have one big meal (2-serving freeze-dried) a day in addition to breakfast (oatmeal mostly). Then I have snacks during the day. Olive oil, tabasco, garlic, beef jerky, pepperoni maybe a can or two of anschovis will add some flavor to the food. The first day I plan to have some outstanding sandwiches for the day. The water will be a big issue. Will bring my 4-liter bladder and a bottle as backup in case something goes wrong with the bladder. Lots of moleskin and vaseline for the feet. I might even bring a tooth brush :D

Mats

blacklab2020 said:
have a camera crew yet?

I do, he's name is Canon and he fits in my camera pocket :)

blacklab2020 said:
Leaving stashes at these roads is really not such a bad thing to do.

You're right, it would be easier to have fresh stashes of food at strategic spots. If I don't make it because I got too exhausted carrying too big of a pack, you have a very good argument here.