The 48 Direttissima 8/31-9-9

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chinooktrail said:
Are you bringing a water filter?

Yes I will........more options for water and less need to bulk up on it at "safe places". Good excuse to take a little break and pump in a liter :)

cbcbd said:
Ni!!

Soon you'll be telling us that you're biking to the start and then biking back to MA after the hike ;)

Haven't done arrangements for getting to and from the TH's yet so it's a possibility......just need to have one bike in tow up to Cabot....then bike back down to Beaver Brook Trail :D

The other option is to sail up to the trailhead via Pemigewasset and Lost River. Carry the boat with me and sail down Ammonoosuc River after Cabot ;)

Mats...what an adventure!!!

I'll help you...when I can.

Up north most weekends.

Go Mats go........

Can't wait to read the TR.

if only i could drop these pesky extra 30 lbs im carrying around and get that much time away from my family i would be in. somehow i dont think my wife would appreciate leaving her with a 1 1/2 year old and 5 day old baby....................... who am i kidding. she will GET OVER IT!! :D

FARMER said:
if only i could drop these pesky extra 30 lbs im carrying around and.........a 5 day old baby.......................

You might just drop a good chunk of those 30 lbs by doing it :D and by Friday the 5-day old will be twice as old :)

Hey.....congrats on the newborn by the way!

Update

Thanks everyone for your support! Hope to keep you updated as much as possible via calling vftt people.

Weather forecast looks great so far :)

Got tentsite 91 at Lafayette campground for Thursday and Friday night.

It's gonna be weird to take down the tent etc Friday morning and pack it in the backpack and then come back to the same spot and set it up again in the evening.....how logical is that? If it's unsupported it's unsupported right?
Gotta follow the "no pre-placement of the pickled herring" approach :rolleyes:

Everything fits in the Osprey Atmos 50 pack.....weighed in at 45 lbs including 4 liters of water (9 lbs) at the gear test over the weekend. Lincoln Slide entry was also verified on the second try - from below after overnighting at the bottom of the slide.

I'll bring 11 days of food in case of a rain day or falling behind schedule.

Heading up today and will meet swamp at Lafayette campground. No later than 5am start tomorrow morning from Kinsman Notch up to Moosilauke......then back to Lafayette campground.....calculated 25.4 miles for the first day.

The pack went up above 50 lbs after I put in all the food.....oh well....

Site will be updated when reception allows me to reach vftt-people.

Stay tuned.....

I spoke with a couple of people by email a few years ago who were interested in doing this trip and needed some background info, but I don't think they ever followed through on it. Is this the first Direttissima since '71?

Who really knows?

There's gotta be a lot of folks out there that no one ever hears about.
Hiking their hikes, hiking some really neat & interesting routes.

Summer Guy just bumped into a chap a couple of weeks ago who was
hiking the N-S Huts Traverse. Sounded like he might have finished somewhere around 20 hours. Other than that encounter at sunset,
we probably wouldn't have heard about him.

Last week, during the full moon phase, the conditions were spectacular
above treeline for all kinds of after sunset hikes. I'd bet quite a few took place, including a Presi Traverse.

It's great when folks hook up with a hiking web site & post their journey's.
It makes for great entertainment/reading and even might give some of us that little push to hike something that we might not have considered otherwise.

I don't think Matts was even aware that the original Direttissima had taken place until I sent him on a White Mt history scavenger hunt ;)

Back home in bed now.....feels ohhh so good :)

Summited nr 48 Cabot in company of a mouse at 4:54pm today.

Trip report in the next couple of days....knock on wood ;)