The joys of winter hiking.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dugan says "Woof" with a big grin as he remembers all the help he got to introduce him favorably to winter hiking... especially to BobAndGeri... Bob got a GREAT photo of him grinning while running through the snow on... was it Osceola? And Geri, who loaned a snow shoe for a headrest while he napped on the Tom/Field/Willey outing.

His pad injuries are healing nicely, hoping to be back up to the Whites soon!

Last year was my first... a couple in the Catskills.. not bad, pretty comfortable and then Wham!

My intro into "winter hiking 101" with Ivy, Skimom, HikerBob and MadTownie, they took me on a Cabot loop..
longest (hours and miles)
weather (rain, sleet, snow?)
from daylight to headlight
from quiet to coyote howls
first time breaking snow
insulated bladder hose froze
signs of dehydration in my urine
but i still went on my beginner hike the next day!

Hope to continue this dream!

Hey Mavs, that's a great picture, looks 3d

Favorite: has to be Katahdin a few years ago. First time I used an ice ax! Also first time I saw someone go sliding head first down the Saddle Slide and understood how important an ice ax is. Summit was about +25 and sunny.

Coldest: Either a solo on the Baldpates one January (I estimate about -20 to -25, a still, heavy cold), or the hike from Grey Knob to Madison last February with Skimom and bpschroder. Actually it was the hike BACK from Madison--somewhere around -15 with huge winds (based on other experiences they had to be over 75 mph). Thank you plastic boots and the beard that gave me a little more air space under the neoprene face mask and prevented frostbite.

Toughest: funny, I didn't think Carrigain last March was as bad as some people thought. I only spent a little time on the point, though, and I went slowly. The Madison hike (see "coldest") was probably the toughest, and I waited for the other 2 at the hut! :p

Craziest: Bigelows one year in the early 80s when I tried vapor barrier socks and gloves--on a warm day! :eek:

Warmest: Don't know, there have been quite a few. Warmest emotionally was the Bigelows with a great friend after a huge personal loss.

Most fun: probably every one of them, even Cabot in the freezing rain!

Last edited:
I've been winter hiking only for a few years but have the following recollections:

Stressful: Sliding backwards down a road in VT labeled "not maintained in winter" with a river on one side and a deep culvert on the other. It really looked like they maintained the road with a Zamboni, but I couldn't debate that with the highway dept. at the time. Absolutely no control as I slid backwards. I did hike after I parked, but I can't really remember the hike.

Odd: Introduced a friend to snowshoeing. At the top of Slide in the Catskills we sit down to lunch. Two women are sitting nearby. One is a chain smoking, brandy swilling relative of Marge Simpson; the other is a young mother trying to breastfeed a baby of about 9 months. The chain smoker had plenty of advice to share with my friend and I though neither of us was lactating.

Every other hike went great, but with differing forms of entertainment.

Crazy hike-solo great range in late winter rotten snow,one hour alone on mt.marcy lying on my back watching huge storm clouds roll by.this hike was also the hardest of season 14 hours.
warmest-brothers to big slide with my daughter on a perfect day 0 in am then got up to 30 with brilliant sun.
great trip-break trail up madison in thigh deep snow in late eve.50 mph.wind then leading a group up the next day to madison and adams and camping out at tent site down from madison hut.(3 in group first 4ks in winter)
the santanonies in feb. after LOTS of snow no trace of trail.swiming in the snow.a new sport,snow moleing ie swiming under the snow going up hill.
building leanglues,a cross between an igloo and a leanto.
summit of dix -25 7:00 am clear and cold, strong wind out of the northwest, the glow of the sun on the horizon,my son and I dug into a snow drift with all our gear on and hanging out for a few hours,this is life,living the dream
I love winter,the north wind bringing sackfulls of snow.
I wish I was a headlight on a northbound train,I'd shine my light through the cool colorado rain.(GD) run me out in the cold rain and snow(GD)

It seems like along w/ bushwhacking, winter is everyone's favorite topic. Just about exactly this time last year I was getting gear together for my first winter hiking season and reading all the posts one this site, thinking "These people are really nuts about winter. What's the deal?"

I only have the one winter to draw on. 20 peaks in the Catskills, and a few odd hikes in the Shawangunks. I don't know about coldest, warmest, etc. but I have plenty of fond memories. Shimmying across a brook on an icy log while doing my first winter hike up Balsam on a cold X-mas Eve. Harry Rampe and Laurie Moore coaching me my first time in crampons on Sugarloaf. Climbing a snow-covered Becker Hollow w/ Halite and Dr. Wu, laughing as we went up two steps and slid back one. The view from the side of Blackhead on a crisp January day. The relief one day that the weird feeling in my toes was just a sock lumping up. Being humbled by the deep snow and steep grade below Hurricane Ledge on Kaaterskill High Peak. Watching a doe run away one solo day in the Gunks and then measuring her leap-prints in the snow. Finishing the Catskill 35 on West Kill on a outstanding late March day w/ a great group of friends. Come to think of it, the people I met and hiked with last year have a lot to do w/ the happy memories. Here's to lots more. I just ordered a down jacket today... :D

Matt

cantdog said:
Since I finished my winter 48, this winter ought to be a good time to get those 4 required winter peaks in the Catskills. Since it takes 4 hours to get there, I would want to aim for doing as many possible per trip that's realistic. 2:2? Anyway, I would like to join anyone with that agenda.

If you have a good weekend, and you are very motivated, you can do all 4 in a weekend.

Slide and Panther are close together, and make a logical pair. Balsam and Blackhead in a day seems realistic for someone like you.

1-Favourite moment: All of them!!! but a really wonderful moment i will never forget was during a 2 night trip at Carter Notch; iceskating by moonlight on the small pond with a beatuiful girl and a nalgene of port.

2-Toughest: see below! In the morning our leather boots were FROZEN and we had to put them on, then take them off and warm our feet with our hands and put them back on again...repeat twice :eek:

3-Coldest: coldest backpacking (but technically it wasn't winter:() was last december. Around the 4th or 5th we planned on spending 2 nites at Hermit Lakes Shelter and summiting Washington. We expected lows around 10 to 15. We knew something was amiss as we neared HOJO's cuz we were carrying heavy packs, wearing lots of clothes and still felt a little cold. Well, it was flippin' 7 degrees! That night dropped to near 0. My jetboil was entertaining to cook with and everything that was supposed be flexible wasn't. T'was a pretty cool experience!

4- Craziest: Last summer at the Prince concert here in Hartford, Ct we found out Deep Banana Blackout was playing a blues and funk festival at a fairground in Keene, NH, the next day and camping was allowed and free the night before. We packed a tent and other sundries after the show arriving very late in Keene. Ohhh, winter :rolleyes: and hiking :rolleyes: well atleast the story ended in NH :D

5-Warmest: After admiring the night views of the ocean by moonlight on a snowy and icey rocky overlook in Acadia and briskly walking back to the campsite, the campfire was the warmest ever!!!!!!!

also spending an hour on a snowcapped Mt. Hight with no wind, warm sun and crisp views in all directions

glissading, running, tripping and falling down monadnock while laughing my lungs out in the cold, dry air.

A very memorable moment for me came on a calm February night. I hiked up Boott Spur Trail to Harvard Rock, hoping to enjoy some northern lights. A second after I dropped my pack an avalanche occurred in the ravine. There was enough moonlight to see it, but the sound I'll never forget. It sounded like a train, and the boulders smashing each other sent shockwaves through my body. Very awesome!

My favorite aspect of winter hiking is tracking critters. :)

Happy Trails!

Winter Camping Rocks!!

Coldest: Skiing out of Zealand at -18o with a 20-30 wind.
Goggles are a wonderful thing!!! :eek:

Most Memorable:Waking up on the summit of North Hancock to a suprise 30" of new snow."It's 8AM-why is it still dark in the tent?" :confused:

Warmest: Snowshoeing out of Russell Pond in shorts and tee shirts. Wierd-never thought of needing sunscreen to go snowshoeing. :cool:

Favorite: Well,one of them-Opening the tent on a sunny morning on Starr King to see a brilliant snow covered Presi view from the north. :D

Camping season is almost here!!

My coldest, crazyist and most satisfying all came on one hike. Mt.Washington via lion's Head. It was a cold feb day arriving at Pinkham notch it didnt look good, visibilty was nill, temps where -10 at Pinkham - god knows what up at the summitt. Decided to just go up as high as was safe then descend. When I got to the winter route on Lions head it was all hard ice, I used my ax right from the bottom, by the time I got to the summit of Lions head I was in such a groove, I felt like I could climb anything, made the summit in dreadfull conditions had no clothes left in my pack, temps on the peak hovered around -40 forget the windchill, what was amazing was I saw no one else, until I got back down Lions head. I sat in my truck after feeling so satisfied, I couldnt wipe the grin off my face.

I must have a selective memory. My toughest hike was an overnight between Xmas and New Year’s. I had spent the previous 5 days playing hockey like I was a teenager so I thought my lack of energy going up Redfield was simply due to that. Back at the LT I started feeling some nausea and then spent the night emptying my gastrointestinal tract of everything and anything. Shouldering my winter pack the next morning and hiking out from the Uphill Lean-to to Upper Works was very, very tough.

Not sure I have any Crazy trips, dumbest maybe, First two winter Greylock trips were up the road, not a long day from the North, a 16 mile day from the Visitor Center gate, learning & acquiring winter gear was still going on then too. On trip two with freezing fingers when my friend said he wanted to stop & take a picture of one of the road signs, I threw him the disposable camera, told him I had a picture of teh *&^%* sign & started walking to generate some heat.

Fondest: Some of the first hikes with the AMC board people, several now over here, 1st one with Chomp in 99, the Franconia Ridge & Hancock day trips (group met as one then split & did one or the other) the 17 person trip up Moriah - The Adams trip when we hiked with a woman we had met before & did not remember where until we reached Mad hut, a year or so earlier going up Madison in November she was sitting at hut when I came up last in the group sweating profusly, as usual, following the trail of cookies Chomp was leaving for me. When I arrived, she asked if I was okay, I looked awful (or did she say Dead)

I'd have added last winter's Hancock trip but somehow the Dr. Forget I was there :(

Coldest: a new years trip on Hunter a few years ago was calm though
Warmest: either a 1/3/00 Flume & Liberty trip - it is was driest almost no snow below 2500 feet. The Adams trip maybe where I had convertible pants unzipped but they did not fit over plastics so legs sat on top of boots looking like 1980's leg warmers (I hope those pictures are gone :D )

Great thread, great memories

In no random order,,,, I think we were on Big Slide last Feb when Neil talked of short sleeves. We were the same. One trip up Cascade and Porter the combination of wind, ice crystals and snow made any exposed skin look sunburned for a few days. Took two falls down ice on Giant on a day we should never have left camp and the woodstove. Met Guiness last winter coming off Algonquin in a snowstorm. We continued towards Iroquois, seeing only cairn to cairn at best. Then all at once the entire sky cleared, with Iroquois directly in front of us..........let it snow, let it....