Thomas/Cat Loop - 2/26

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puma concolor

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Add my name to the list of unoriginal thinkers inspired to action by the most recent edition of Adirondack Explorer. :D

A really fine 7 or 8 mile loop broken up into three distinct sections. Interestingly, the Lake George Land Conservancy trail system for this area is not shown on the National Geographic Map Series for the Adirondacks - Lake George region (#743). Perhaps an oversight?

Anyway, the orange-marked trail from Valley Wood Road to the summit of Thomas was well-traveled and wider than a sidewalk. A little choppy in sections from a combo of ski, snowshoe and barebooting, but generally pretty smooth. From the cabin atop Thomas where the blue trail starts to the summit of Cat is an entirely different ballgame. Not nearly so much traffic although the route was easy enough to follow as there were many trail markers and enough prior traffic that the route was dug in for much of the way. Drifted over in some sections but no heavy lifting. Narrow trail; backcountry feel. Thomas to Cat took me a little under 2 hours. From the summit of Cat, the yellow trail completes the loop without having to go back over Thomas.

An excellent morning out. No views this morning as the peaks were completely socked in by clouds. Oh well, still an invigorating hike. In at 7 AM; out at 11:30 AM. The more I hike around Lake George, the more I like hiking around Lake George.