Thought this was an April Fool's Joke when I read it...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Judy and Emma

Reaction score
but, it appears to be the real deal?

Observatory acquires new equipment to ease summit resupply
By Pilar Lofo, assistant news editor

GORHAM DAILY NEWS - The Mount Washington Observatory operates a manned facility year-round atop New England's highest peak, and resupplying the weather observers can be a challenge at times. The primary means of resupply is the Mount Washington Auto Road, which can become impassible during spring runoff and mud season. In order to ensure that the mountain-top pantry remains stocked, and Observers do not have to seek sustenance from the local wildlife, the Observatory has acquired a surplus unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) from the military. "The UAV, which had been used to transport supplies across enemy lines, will allow us to ensure timely resupply of our observer troops," said Scott Hemly, Executive Director of the Observatory. Although Observatory members were initially upset at their member dues being used to purchase military equipment, they seemed to be put at ease when Hemly explained that the Observatory plans on recovering the capital investment by providing resupply services to other organizations on and around the mountain, such as to the Appalachian Mountain Club's backcountry huts. A sponsor is also being sought for a live web cam to be mounted on the UAV nose cone.

By the way, it's Henley.

KDT

Last edited:
Umm... Unlikely.

UAVs are used for surveillance and as weapons platforms, not supply transport.

If you absolutely insist on using them in the WMNF, they might be used for spotting illegal campers. (Any aircraft with thermal IR imaging can do this.)

Doug

I agree...

Unlikely... I was hoping someone here would know if this is a gag or what? Seems it must be... jokes on me..
I gotta' quit readin' late at night when the brain is tired... I should have known when they spelled Hedley wrong...

KDT

Last edited: