Touching the Void in Portland

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Townie

Reaction score
Hey, anyone want to do a VFTT "Touching the Void" night at the Nickelodeon in Portland? With dinner, of course. The run starts March 5, but I don't know how long it will be here.

If I can show up in Somerville, maybe some of you Boston or NH folks (or even you all who are REALLY from away) can make the trek to here. OK, so it's not summer, but it's a great town for dinner out!

Mad Townie I am interested in going. Even though the Nick is a long ten minute walk from where I live, I think I can pull it off. And I could let someone use my parking pass at the Parking Garage where the Nick is, since it just collects dust in my car. As I work right down there in the Old Port, and walk to work everyday.

I was planning on seeing the film with my daughter (she lives in Portland - not far from Congress Street). Since I already know this is a film I will want to see again, I am also planning on viewing it in Portsmouth, NH at the Music Hall on Tuesday, March 23. It will be playing at the Music Hall from March 20 to the 24th.

I could easily be talked into going to Portland on a weekend. Of course, I will require stops at Gritty's, Brian Boru, and Deweys.

- darren

M.T.:

I am interested -- not sure if I can make it yet -- I am dying to see this movie, and am afraid it won't make it north of Portland! When and where to meet?

Laura

M.T.:

I live about 2 hours northeast of Portland, but I just realized I have to be there for a work thing on Sat., March 13. Do you think it will still be playing? Could we go then?

Let me know! I'll probably drive down to the movie/gathering no matter what, but this would make life easier for me -- hope it might work for others.

Laura

OK, here's what I think so far:

1. I don't know how long it will be playing. I'll have to check the Nick and let everyone know.

2. I'm pretty open on Saturdays. I figure any other day of the week makes it hard for anyone from away or from the real Maine (like Laura & Nadine).

3. Nadine's going to Switzerland (poor girl!!!) and won't be able to do the movie until the 20th. Since she came to Katahdin with us I'd like to accommodate her date if at all possible. Besides, anyone who's willing to drive to Portland from anywhere north of Bangor deserves some consideration!

So let me find out how long it will be in town, then I'll let you all know. Sounds at the moment like it will be either the 13th or the 20th.

Darren, all three of your favorite Portland establishments are within a short walk of the theater, so I see no reason they can't all be part of the event, either before or after the movie. Let me think about where we should eat.

Stay tuned. :cool:

Portland is great.... but may I recommend Bull Feeney's on Fore Street and RiRa's on Commercial.

I also have to suggest Silly's on Washington.

darren said:
I could easily be talked into going to Portland on a weekend. Of course, I will require stops at Gritty's, Brian Boru, and Deweys.

- darren

Here's to hoping that we can all see the movie on the 20th :)

If not, have a great time. Drink a black and tan for me...and a bitter from Gritty's. The Best Bitter, and the Christmas Ale (if still available) are pretty good :D

I'm off to ski in the Swiss Alps. I hope they have good snow, and good beer.

Nadine

Blue, Silly's is quite a hike from the theater for this type of group--it must be a half mile, at least! :eek:

I checked with the Nick, and they said to call back on Monday when they will know whether TTV will be there through the 20th or not.

Brian Boru might not be a bad place for dinner. Since all bars in Maine are now smoke free, we can even eat without choking.

March 13th in Portland

If you want to feel really frustrated sometime, try to get a person in a theater office to tell you how long they expect a film to be showing.

So let's set the Great Portland Movie Gathering for next Saturday, March 13th at 7:30 at the Nickelodeon Theater in Portland. The theater is right in the Temple Street Parking Garage, and there's also plenty of on-street parking available around the neighborhood. (After all, this ain't Somerville!)

We can gather at Gritty McDuff's on Fore Street (near the bottom of Exchange Street) around 5:30, expecting to order dinner at 6.

I'd appreciate hearing from folks who are coming--if we have quite a few I can give Gritty's a heads-up and maybe get us a good table. Just PM me here.

Sorry, I can't make it this weekend. I'll be up in NH at the Winter Gathering. (Why aren't you going?????)

Let me know if you change the date.

Thanks

- darren

My wife and I are not going to be able to make it tomorrow night -- the Flagstaff Lake region beckons. Thanks to all for the planning, though. Enjoy the show!

Laura, I understand that others are still going to attend.

It looks like it will be just Laura & me, with my climbing partner Shrink Rap joining us for the movie.

So tell me, would you have dinner with someone who looks like my avatar? :eek: (I'll have to post a new one soon.)

I saw "Touching the Void" last night and it's definately worth seeing again. The narratives of the actual participants were very moving to me, even if the acting was not.

MT, I have a similar blue partial face mask and goggles, so you look almost like me! (the only thing that's missing is my blond hair)
:)

So, my wife and I were planning to go see a movie on Saturday night. I wonder if I could convince her to drive the extra 20 minutes to Portland to see a hiking movie...

Hard telling if I'll make it. But thank you for bringing the discussion to the chat.