Track Up vs. North Up Garmin 60cs?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiguy

Reaction score
I have been playing around with my 60cs for the first time in awhile and have a question. I have been shifting from Track up to North up which is suppossed to change the orientation of the screen from direction of travel to a paper map apperance. Other than the North arrow indicator on the screen when in Track up there does not seem to be a difference. Does it take awhile for the map to rewrite between mode changes or am I missing something?

IIRC, track up rotates the map fairly quickly. (Try driving around a cloverleaf or circle (rotary for you NE locals...) and see if you don't get dizzy watching the map spin.)

However, when you are stationary, the map may orient fairly randomly because it is following the random position drift inherent in any GPS.

FWIW, I use north up--I find track up to be disorienting.. (I also hold my maps the same way no matter what direction I am facing.)

Ultimately, it is a personal choice.

Doug

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies..Like I said It's been awhile since I have used this gizmo..On my 60cs the Track Up and the North Up option is displayed in the menu on the Satillite acquisition page but does not seem too change the orientation. It does change on the Mapping Page which I found out after digging around for awhile. I just get rusty when I don't play around with certain Digitalization Toys for awhile.

... FWIW, I use north up--I find track up to be disorienting.. (I also hold my maps the same way no matter what direction I am facing.)
FWIW I use track up more often because I like the fact that it moves your position into the lower part of the screen. Hence more of what is in front of me is on the map.

Ultimately, it is a personal choice.
Yep