Trapped on the Trap Dike: New York forest rangers rescue two people from notoriously dangerous hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does Trap Dike compare to a trail like Huntington Ravine on Washington or the Great Gulf headwall where the trail is the brook for a 1/4 mile? Most of the photos I've seen of Trap Dike make it look steep but not too bad but apparently there is a "crux" moment in the middle that is pretty challenging and dangerous - a steep scramble alongside or in a brook or something like that. I don't think of I've seen a photo of that. I presume that is why so many people have issues. I have a friend who wanted to try that route but I was concerned about attempting it.

EDIT: Actually I messed around on YouTube for a bit and found a good video. That crux section does look pretty legit. Scrambling reminds me more of Katahdin than NH. Very steep but blocky rock that can provide good holds. A ranger in one of the rescue videos I watched called this Class 4 terrain.

Last edited:
I've hiked both; the Dike many times in all seasons; Huntington ravine trail only once, many years ago.

They are quite different. Huntington trail is a hike, steep in a couple spots and sometimes slick, but my buddy and I hiked down it easily with heavy packs, and never had to use our hands. Much of the Dike is like that also. But the "crux" section is definitely a vertical rock climb for about 30 feet. Climbers variably consider it Class 3 or Class 4.

If you know the Dike crux well, it's quite easy and secure, even when it's wet. But part of that is perception. If you view it as a hike, it's a really difficult, dangerous hike. If you view it as a rock climb, it's quite easy.