treatment of acute "runner's nails" ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckyball1

Reaction score
Hi all-looking for advice after brutalizing my little toes Saturday-much worse than the occasional black nail i've had in the past. Hiked too long, too fast, downhills; nails not well trimmed and soft from sweat during hike-perfect storm.

For hours my little toes had a jolt of pain with almost every step and when i finally hobbled to the car, one nail was black, the other less discolored (both extremely sensitive to touch)-skin around nail beds red/warm.

Silly me, i hoped to hike later this week..now 3 days later..pain and redness in skin of toe around and below nail beds is gone, but nails and nail beds themselves sensitive to any touch/pressure)--one nail black, one may make it. I can't wear sneakers (much less boots) as even moderate contact with nail causes discomfort. It's been TEVAs and no socks--everyday movement and even 1-2 mile walk on level ground (to relieve my craziness) are no problem and pretty much totally painless, but nails/nail beds touch sensitive. I haven't even considered my normal running schedule.

I finally read up on runners nail/subungual hematoma and found "drill the nail" (i'm guessing way too late for this now and it made me cringe ), epsom salt soaks (doing them twice a day) and need to watch for bacterial and fungal infections

I know you don't profess to be doctors (well most of you), but i'd appreciate any advice/suggestions to get me back in the woods asap. I am as obsessive any of you (and that's saying a bit :)) --already struggling with inactivity while not wanting to damage myself any more. If the toes don't continue to improve or at any sign of infection, i'll see a Dr, but hope to avoid that

many thanks
jim

Last edited:
Most sources will tell you not to do this, but... I speak from mucho experience here. :D

This is what has worked for me: When I know there is fluid under the nailbed, I use a sterilized needle and very gently puncture the skin just below the nail. Because you're puncturing just the skin, you shouldn't feel any pain. Have a tissue handy to absorb the fluid. You should feel instant relief upon draining the fluid off. You may need to repeat the next day. The nails will eventually come off.

I have done this probably 50 times in my life and have never gotten an infection.

Good luck!

Have you tried running like the Tarahumara?

If you haven't already, check out the book
Born to Run. Chris McDougall
Fantastic read, and great advice. :D

Last edited:
That's a good read. Lot's of truth to it, and it's a fun story. I thought the same thing as soon as I saw "boots" mentioned in the OP. The only times I have lost nails were from wearing boots (hiking, ski, climbing, etc.). Obviously, for some sports, you need a boot, like alpine skiing. But for anything else, soft shoes are the way to go.

Born To Run

There was also a lot of embellishment of the truth. MacDougall's telling of one of my husband's events, Coyote Fourplay, is only partially accurate. :rolleyes:

But I do agree that it was a fun read.