Tripoli rd dispersed camping

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherby

Reaction score
It's been a while since I went there in peak season, I knew that there was a bunch of sites, but I didn't remember that people camped all the way along the road (past the un-staffed? permit cabin), for the northeast (vs NF land in CO for example) it feels kinda weird, specially with porta-potties all along the road. Did the situation change since Covid or it was "always" that crazy and my memory is failing me?

Last edited:
Last time I visited it was a "zoo" with some minimal "no camping" signage at a few spots along the road but sites everywhere along stream. The porta potties have been there for a few years but I would still be real careful walking.

I think sometimes the FS just writes off an area as not worth the hassle to enforce the rules. The north end of Jefferson Notch Road (north of the trailhead) seems to be another area where the FS has given up enforcing the 1/4 mile rule. On most weekends, every wide spot in the road that will hold a car has a camper or tents stuffed into it. Unlike Tripoli road there its not a Fee area and there definitely are not Porta Potties.

Last edited:
From the FS: "Tripoli Road is a very popular area for those seeking a roadside camping experience. This area is not a good choice for campers seeking a tranquil out of the way spot. "

Jefferson notch road has no restrictions past caps ridge. "Jefferson Notch Road (FR 220) from theBase Station to the Caps Ridge trailhead"

From the FS: "Tripoli Road is a very popular area for those seeking a roadside camping experience. This area is not a good choice for campers seeking a tranquil out of the way spot. "

Jefferson notch road has no restrictions past caps ridge. "Jefferson Notch Road (FR 220) from theBase Station to the Caps Ridge trailhead"
I agree on Jefferson Notch Road, My bad. Sad to Say it my be legal but its lousy place to camp. Most of the new sites are actually drainage run outs so whenever it rains, the occupants get wet.

We camped at Russell Pond a few weeks ago-the partying was bad enough that we called the sheriffs office. He was not polite with the party goers when he had to drive up Tripoli at 1130PM. Too bad, as the sites are nice.