tumbledown dick mountain 12/1/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 12/1/13

trails: tumbledown dick road, 4wd trail

conditions: i parked off the side of tumbledown dick road about 1.4 miles from moose mountain road in brookfield where the town ceases winter maintenance (sign). there is a small pulloff across from a couple mailboxes. i headed up the road, which at this point was in great shape, to where the private "camp road" leaves right and tumbledown dick road becomes a class 6 unmaintained road. i could have driven to this point. a high clearance off road 4wd could in theory continue on and drive right up to the summit and clearly some do. there was a coating of snow on the road which made it hard to spot the patchy ice hiding underneath in spots. a couple different snowmobile trails joined the road at various points along the way. the road became increasingly rough as it travelled under the cliffy southwest end of the peak and climbed to its height of land to the west of the summit. from there i followed a 4wd track up to the ledgy summit. though cloudy today there were wide open views to the south including copple crown and moose mountains. views down to kingswood lake as well. i clocked the hike at around 3.75 miles round trip.

equipment: blaze orange highly recommended.

comments: noted this relatively local peak on the map during the week and thought i would check it out. i was a nice hike up the road with a noted presence of hunters in the area. i will definitely have to go back to get clear views from the south facing summit ledges. could make out most of moose and copple crown mountains today before the clouds really descended. i think a bump to the north could have some potential western cliff views too, but did not check it out today. nice hike.

bryan

[email protected]

Latest posts