Upcoming Trips - February

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
The follow trips are on the radar for the next month or two. The dates are tentative. Weather rules (although apparently while I was cheered for cancelling Zealand and the Bonds on Sunday, people were on Franconia Ridge in the below-zero, above 50MPH winds anyway.)

2/3 - Moosilauke
2/10 - Franconia Ridge traverse (full, or the standard pairings)
2/17 - Zealand-Bonds traverse (2/18 is President's Day which I have off, which may also work)
2/24 - Twins-Galehead

Sundays are always better for me personally, but if the preceding Saturday is vastly better, weather-wise, I may switch days. None of these are appropriate for novices. Moosilauke is the least challenging.

As always, reply here or via PM to express an interest, or wait for the 'formal' announcement - which due to other commitments, will generally be 48-24 hours prior.

Tim

Last edited:
YAY for Franconia Ridge on 2/10!!! :) I am still interested in Zealand/Bonds but can only do the 18th. I would love to do Moosilauke on Sunday but I have a 10 a.m. meeting (only in the world of hospitality :mad: ).

~Whitney

Interested in Zealand-Bonds though Sundays are less desirable, that weekend in particular (if I had President's Day off this year, far less of an issue :D). I'll stay tuned in though, I can probably make it happen.

I'm definateltly interested in Zealand-Bonds. I have all three days off so I am flexible. Are you planning N-S or S-N?

Hi Tim,

I am interested in doing the Lafayette, Lincoln, and Haystack trip as well as the Twins trip.

Z

2/10 - Franconia Ridge traverse (full, or the standard pairings)
2/17 - Zealand-Bonds traverse (2/18 is President's Day which I have off, which may also work)
2/24 - Twins-Galehead

Next up - 2/10
Plan "A" - Full traverse - Lafayette through Flume - direction and trails TBD and depending on who comes, car spots, and group preference
Plan "B" - Twins and Galehead, for weather not conducive to plan A

A formal announcement will appear in T & E towards the end of the week.

Tim

I am considering a trip for this weekend. Right now, the preferred day is Monday, 2/18, with Sunday 2/17 as the alternative. Saturday is remotely possible but "I'd prefer not to". The three remaining goal trips are:

Twins-Galehead
Monroe-Jefferson (Washington optional, but likely)
Zealand-Bonds

If you want to express a preference or an interest, feel free... Weather, obviously, will have a say.

Tim

Tim, I'd prefer the Zea-Bonds trip but M-W-J would be a good alternative. I like Sunday better but I have all three days off this weekend.

I am considering a trip for this weekend. Right now, the preferred day is Monday, 2/18, with Sunday 2/17 as the alternative. Saturday is remotely possible but "I'd prefer not to". The three remaining goal trips are:

Twins-Galehead
Monroe-Jefferson (Washington optional, but likely)
Zealand-Bonds

If you want to express a preference or an interest, feel free... Weather, obviously, will have a say.

Tim

Hi Tim,

I'd be interested in either Twins/Galehead (pref.) or Jefferson/Monroe either Sunday (pref.) or Saturday. Could be a cold one.

I'm thinking Sunday is no-go. I don't think Monday will be any better, and even if it improves, it doesn't appear that it will be Presidential.

SUNDAY...SUMMITS OBSCURED IN THE MORNING...THEN SUMMITS IN AND OUT
OF CLOUDS. A CHANCE OF SNOW. HIGHS 2 TO 12 ABOVE. NORTHWEST WINDS
AROUND 55 MPH INCREASING TO AROUND 70 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON. AT
ELEVATIONS ABOVE 5000 FEET...NORTHWEST WINDS AROUND 65 MPH
INCREASING TO AROUND 90 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF SNOW
40 PERCENT. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 35 BELOW.

The Monday long-range says 60 NW gusting to 100, decreasing to 50 NW gusting to 90 at 4215 feet near South Twin. Note that the NOAA long-range forecast is accurate only for now+36 hours, so I'll wait for tomorrow to make a call on Monday.

Tim

Tim - thanks for updating with that info. That's a pretty rough forecast for the three (exposed) trips you listed. Good call.

I'll think I'll stick to lower elevations tomorrow. Good luck for weather Monday.

I am postponing tomorrow's trip. The weather is not any better, although it might lay down some late in the day. Next weekend, I am (currently, that may change) free both days as basketball is on school vacation along with the kids...

Same trips as above. Weather will play a large part in the actual trip, as always.

Tim

Time to initiate plan B. Or is it now C or D? Might be a day for that short Tecumseh hike that I've been keeping in my back pocket. Although, if the wind doesn't die down........

Last edited: