Update of reopened trails with new map

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer Editor

Reaction score
Given the interest in this, I thought I should start a new thread to make sure people see it. I have posted a fairly detailed update on the trails that have been reopened. I also modified the DEC map to clearly indicate which trails are open and which are still closed. You'll also find a neat photo of the slide debris that has covered the Orebed Brook Trail.

Click here to read the post.

DEC website has been updated:

Adirondack Trail Information
AREA OPENINGS (9/8): The EASTERN ZONE of the HIGH PEAKS WILDERNESS and GIANT MOUNTAIN WILDERNESS are once again OPEN.

Due to the amount of damage to certain trails, and the continued closure of a section of Route 73 and other roads, DIX MOUNTAIN WILDERNESS and a number of trails in the reopened areas will REMAIN CLOSED.

However, the majority of trails are now open for public recreation.

•Open trails in the Giant Mountain Wilderness include all trails starting from the trailheads on Route 9 and Route 9N. Giant Mountain may also be accessed via the Hopkin Mountain Trail from the Ranney Trailhead.
•Open trails in the High Peaks Wilderness include all trails from the Adirondack Loj Trailhead, the Cascade Mountain Trailhead, the Garden Trailhead, the Rooster Comb Trailhead, the Upper Works Trailhead, and the East River Trailhead.
•All trails out of the Adirondack Mountain Reserve (Ausable Club) remain closed due to the closure of a section of Route 73 and the damage to the trailhead parking lots.
•The Elk Lake Trailhead remains closed.
TRAIL ADVISORIES (9/8): Trails that are not closed still may have bridges washed out and water levels in most rivers and brooks are at spring high water levels. Crossings may be impassable at this time. These trails may also have blowdown, eroded sections or flooded areas. Pay close attention as many trails have been rerouted to avoid heavily damaged sections and eroded drainages can be mistaken for trails. The ability to navigate with a map and compass is important.

The High Peaks Trail Information has a complete list of closed trails and the conditions for open trails. It will be updated as trails are reopened.

Garden road closed

I have updated my post to reflect an important change: DEC now says the road to the Garden will be closed this weekend. Shuttle bus will take hikers to Market Street in Keene Valley, from where they must walk.

Status of Wolf Jaw Trail

Another update: someone noticed that DEC's bulletin says the Wolf Jaw Trail from Johns Brook to the Range Trail is closed, but this is not reflected in DEC's map. I checked with DEC recently and was told the trail is indeed open.