Velcro Repairs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
It seems there are more and more products that have Velcro (or something similar) used as a primary fastener. My gaiters use Velcro. Many times instead of stitching, the Velcro is attached with an adhesive. I have experienced this adhesive to fail on multiple occasions. A rain jacket from a top retailer has lost a couple Velcro tabs that were used to keep the storm flap closed over the main zipper. Now, my gaiters have developed a similar failure.

Velcro sells adhesive for attaching their hook & loop fastener tapes. In fact, there are multiple grades of the stuff.

Does anybody have experience, good or bad, with using Velcro adhesive to make a repair?

My one experience wasn't good. I put too much glue on the back and it ooozed out onto the Velcro. My lesson, a little goes a long way. A little hand-stiched "knot" might keep an area that sees a lot of use, such as gaiters, from stressing the adhesive and encouraging it to come apart.

A little hand-stiched "knot" might keep an area that sees a lot of use, such as gaiters, from stressing the adhesive and encouraging it to come apart.

I agree. Perhaps this should be anticipated by the manufacturer and taken care of during the manufacturing process.

Unfortunately, in my case the horse has already left the barn.

Since one gaiter has failed but the other is still good (after wearing them nine times) it may be possible there's a manufacturing problem with the one that failed. I still believe a little stitching would greatly help.

:rolleyes:

I agree. Perhaps this should be anticipated by the manufacturer and taken care of during the manufacturing process.

Unfortunately, in my case the horse has already left the barn.

Since one gaiter has failed but the other is still good (after wearing them nine times) it may be possible there's a manufacturing problem with the one that failed. I still believe a little stitching would greatly help.

Right. I've seen lots of "tacking" on gear and it should always be done, IMO.

Earl,

You don't mention a brand, but if you have OR gaiters, they will replace them for you no charge - they are guaranteed forever. That said, I've added a bit of stitching to several Velcro areas over the years and that keeps thing stuck long enough to make the end of the season when things can be replaced.

Tim

Earl,

You don't mention a brand,
Tim

You're correct, I don't.

I am also incorrect when I say "Velcro". The gaiter manufacturer doesn't mention a brand, only "hook/loop" when referencing the closure method. I have no way of knowing the brand.

:eek:

I've had no problem with my OR gaiters, but there was some un-gluing (is that a word?) on the wrist strap of my G-Tex jacket. I just stitched it up. Tip: Always stitch with dental floss (from, Kephart, Horace: Camping and Woodcraft; New York, 1917)

I have had particulary good luck with 3m super weatherstrip adhesive for gluing just about anything to anything. Barge cement is good but this stuff is better. I also have a hand sewing awl compliments of Ragged Mountain for some reinforcement.

I have had particulary good luck with 3m super weatherstrip adhesive for gluing just about anything to anything. Barge cement is good but this stuff is better. I also have a hand sewing awl compliments of Ragged Mountain for some reinforcement.

3M has some terrific automotive adhesives. Some are clear and others are colored (black, yellow, etc.) Are you referring to the clear stuff? Do you know the model number?

I hadn't considered the 3M line of adhesives. There are several in my workshop for different applications. I'll bet the one that is used to attach body molding would work well and it's clear.

I believe the 3M website has a great deal of reference material on their product line. I'll have to do some research there.

I dont have a tube around for reference. The stuff I use is like super rubber cement, just smear on a coat on either side of the joint, let it air dry for a bit and then push the two together. Its usually on for good and drys to a yellowish color.

Having been born and bred in the first "M" in 3M, having used a wide range of their products, and having a brother-in-law who designs adhesives for them and is my private consultant on such matters, I'll just say: Tain't none better on the planet. Get the Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive for this application, as it's flexible for a wide range of temps and very durable.

I prefer to stitch rather than glue. Not all adhesives handle thousands of flexings or extreme cold or hot temperatures. Many adhesives designed for mechanical or automotive use don't always interact effectively with fabric or can actually degrade the fabric. Dental floss or a tough synthetic thread will last a very long time.

I prefer to stitch rather than glue. Not all adhesives handle thousands of flexings or extreme cold or hot temperatures. Many adhesives designed for mechanical or automotive use don't always interact effectively with fabric or can actually degrade the fabric. Dental floss or a tough synthetic thread will last a very long time.

Just a guess that more people have dental floss than thread, but needles that fit dental floss might not be a standard size.

Also the residue from an old (now failed) adhesive may interfere with a new adhesive. Sewing has no such problem...

Polyester or polyester-core thread is readily available and should work well for sewing velcro.

My problem with velcro is more often that many manufacturers seem to use an inferior version--after a while, it no longer sticks.

Doug

I prefer to stitch rather than glue. .
I too prefer to stitch and am on my second Speedy Stitcher.

http://www.rei.com/product/602118/speedy-stitcher-sewing-awl?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-gpeLink-_-product-_-602118&mr:trackingCode=3CA615C2-B849-E011-AFD7-001517384908&mr:referralID=NA&{copy:s_kwcid}=&mr:adType=pla&gclid=CJe_yfaGsq4CFQff4Aod0QFXRA

As a single male I taught myself to sew years ago and have become quite proficient with the old needle. I repair all my outdoor gear using industrial needles and upholstery thread that I purchase at Martins House of cloth in manchester. Ive used this thread on clothes, packs, pole wrist straps and it never fails me.

I agree. The 3M products are designed to perform in well-defined applications. Their on-line reference material should help in selecting the best product. I believe if adhesives were always an inferior solution it seems that top manufacturers, such as OR and many others wouldn't use it.

:confused:

Just a guess that more people have dental floss than thread, but needles that fit dental floss might not be a standard size.
I had to do a repair on a pack recently using heavy thread and paid a visit to a sewing supplies store for large needles. I'm all set in that department. Now, where can I find dental floss?

:)

I too prefer to stitch and am on my second Speedy Stitcher.

http://www.rei.com/product/602118/speedy-stitcher-sewing-awl?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-gpeLink-_-product-_-602118&mr:trackingCode=3CA615C2-B849-E011-AFD7-001517384908&mr:referralID=NA&{copy:s_kwcid}=&mr:adType=pla&gclid=CJe_yfaGsq4CFQff4Aod0QFXRA

Interesting. I'm going to dig into this. This looks like a tool I need in my repair kit.

Thanks.

;)

Dental floss is available in grocery stores and pharmacies. The un-waxed kind makes a better knot.

I'm kidding!

There's is a good supply hiding behind the mirror I see every morning when I shave. It's kinda next to my tooth brush.

;)