VFTT Adirondacks winter hike - Noonmark

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
OK everyone, now we're on my "home waters". Noonmark is 3,456' with a round trip of around 5 miles and approx 2,000' ascent. There are views here and there on the way up, the last few hundred feet are out in the open, and the top rocky with a 360 degree view. It looks up at Giant Mt, the Dixes and The Great Range. Many feel it has among the best views for the effort in the High Peaks.

It is a great trip any time of the year, but spectacular in winter. Haven't set a date yet as I want to run some dates past a few friends who would probably like to participate, but probably mid to late January.
The trailhead is about 10 min from exit 30 of the Adirondack Northway, in the Ausable Club, right off of route 73. There are small bed and breakfasts, small motels and some places that put up hikers in dorm settings as well as the standard accomodations in Lake Placid which is about 30 min away. There are also motels in the Schroon Lake area about a half hour south on the N'way.

If there is enough interest, we can organize hikes from 2 or 3 different approaches. And for someone who asked, the more ambitious folks can do a bushwack with an earlier start from Bear Den Mt. I've done the Bear Den-Noonmark bushwack a number of times, but not in the winter.
There are lots of places in the area for food and drink afterward, and Brian and Spence would probably have some good recommendations about that.
This could be a lot of fun if folks want to participate.

I've been up Noonmark more times than I can count - and broke my wrist there on one of those times :( It seems I never tire of that mountain. Peakbagr is correct about the views on top. I'd (we'd) love to go, depending upon the date. :)

What town is Noonmark in? I would like to run mapquest and see exactly where it is in NY.

cantdog said:
What town is Noonmark in? I would like to run mapquest and see exactly where it is in NY.

Round Pond-Dix Mt trailhead starts on the R of Rt. 73, 1.1 miles S of the parking area at Chapel Pond (5.8 miles S of the High Peaks sign in Keene Valley) and 3.1 miles N of the spaghetti intersection Rtes. 9 and 73 in Underwood. The start is marked with a small DEC sign, and there is a small parking area ~90 yds. N of the trailhead.

(elev. 3,552 ft/1,083 m) of the High Peaks sect. of the Adirondacks, in Essex co., NE N.Y., c.8 mi/12.9 km E of Mt. Marcy, and 16 mi/26 km SE of Lake Placid village; 44°08'N 73°47'W.

Hope this helps.

Jan 8th weekend is out for me. I'm climbing Marcy.

I wouldnt mind doing this hike mid-December. It doesn't count towards my W-46 and I would think there would be less traffic up there this time of year due to everyone being busy with the holidays and all. Should we extend this thread out to adkforum?

-percious

Town of Keene - Home of the High Peaks.

I've been hitting some of the "non-list" must climbs in the Dacks lately and finally climbed Noonmark a couple of months ago after many years of neglect. Beautiful day - very nice views. Seems like a good candidate for a winter climb although Pitchoff is next on my list.

I'm headed to the Whites for New Years, I would prefer after that. December traffic out of the city is a horror until then. I would likely still go, but the horror. Bear Den, Noonmark sounds fun conditions permitting.

Peakbagr, if you don't pick a date, this will go on for ever.

Are there any camping options aside from the loj?

Warren,

Don't you just love it when your thread gets "kidnapped"? ;)
For those who want to do something else, please set up your own trip, this one's going sometime between mid January and mid February.

I'm waiting to hear from 2 other friends who live in the area and will probably be interested, otherwise I'd have posted a date. For those who haven't done Noonmark, you're in for a treat.

I'm sure there are places to camp, but I'll ask others to reply to that. All my winter trips are either dayhops, the occasional motel, the ADK Loj, or backpacking. My winter sleeping out is always in the backcountry.

Alan

Whatever date you decide is fine with me. I rarely make my own plans this far ahead so I'm pretty flexible with this much notice.

I'd like to offer a ride to anyone along the I-87 corridor. Please feel free to drop me an email or PM. Warren, FunkyFreddy, and the rest of the NYC contingent, the ride offer applies to you guys as well ........ I don't mind the detour ........ but keep in mind that I'll be heading up Friday afternoon and staying until Sunday.

Rob

If its right after a big snowfall, the Round Pond lot might not be cleared. But with a number of cars up there, I imagine we'll be able to drop folks coming from RP.

Peak,

Myself and the family would be interested. I'm in Florida on business from Jan 3-13, but other than that, I can probably work it out. Jan-Mar is tough for us, but we just have to work at it harder.

After all, ain't that what sick days are for. :eek:

Keep us posted on the date

Status
Not open for further replies.