Vitamin I may not be a good pre-hike ritual...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jul

Reaction score
For all of us who have a bit of a habit of popping "Vitamin I" before a hike, there's been some recent research indicating that taking NSAIDS, including ibuprofen, before exercise may actually increase inflammatory response and decrease tissue & bone repair after exercise.

In yesterday's Science Times:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/01/phys-ed-does-ibuprofen-help-or-hurt-during-exercise/

The article also links to an editorial published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine.

Pretty much just the opposite effect we're looking for by taking it.

This article suggests the substitution of the drug paracetamol under certain circumstances. Paracetamol is another name for acetaminophen (Tylenol).

Of course acetaminophen also has its risks (eg liver damage). I don't know if there have been any studies on the effects of acetaminophen use comparable to the one in Jul's references.

Doug

Last edited:
Reads like a study of ibuprofen sponsored by the makers of acetaminophen to me. Read the possible side effects of any drug, OTC or prescription, and you'll probably be a lot more moderate in your consumption. Moderation combined with other strategies will help deal with the target of that Ibuprofen, a smarter move IMNSHO than looking for the silver bullet in one pill.