Walking about in lion country - random thoughts

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tramper Al

Last Sunday afternoon, I went for walk in the woods along the border of Acton and Boxboro, Mass, in the immediate vicinity of the 3 (that I know of) purported mountain lion sightings in the past few weeks.

I chose wooded public land as a place to start, and timed my visit to be about 24 hours after the nice 3-5 in snowfall that we had late last week. From this map of Acton conservation land, I selected the Jenks and Guggins Brook conservation areas, which are connected by a short path. I wore lots of orange.

What I found was that these are very small and busy wooded areas. You can click on the link above to see the trails in there. I basically redlined all the trails in these two areas in about an hour and a half. The trails zig zag through there so that no bit of woods is more than about 100 yards from a trail, a road, a house, or something. I am trying to say that it is very difficult to imagine there is enough room in there for a lion to stretch his legs, much less make it his home.

Now, I did see lots and lots of deer (our cat's food source of course) tracks. And I didn't see the deer this day, so yeah, it's easy enough for a big wild animal to keep a low profile in there. I was just surprised at how little 'wilderness' is in there. I brought along my camera trap but ended up not leaving it in there because even off trail I thought the area was too busy for it to go unnoticed. It looked like about 20 or so hikers and many dogs had been through there in the day or so since the snow fell.

I may continue my exploration in there a bit later in the season. I'd like to find some bigger plots of woods, though, where at least I can imagine a big cat could hide. Exciting wildlife times we live in, even in suburban Massachusetts.

Wondering where the lions are . . .

Dave,

I'm not sure I'd say discounted, but the sightings have definitely been contested! I find most compelling the eyewitness account of the police called to the scene - they really have little incentive to open themselves up to ridicule.

The last Globe article I can find is here. Another story.

Certainly, these sightings won't qualify for even a Class II level confirmation by Eastern Cougar Net criteria.

I'm not sure these reports can be 'disproved' unless the guilty golden retriever steps forward or the guy in the lion suit confesses. In the meantime, it's just another fine reason for me to walk in the woods.

Last edited:
You should go after a light snowfall, if it's still around there should be tracks.

In September I was walking along the Athi river looking at lion tracks in the soft sand alongside the river......but they're pretty common in Kenya.

Jim lombard said:
You should go after a light snowfall, if it's still around there should be tracks.
Yeah, now why didn't I think of that?

Jim lombard said:
In September I was walking along the Athi river looking at lion tracks in the soft sand alongside the river......but they're pretty common in Kenya.
That sound like a very nice spot. It's outside of I-495 though, yes?

That sound like a very nice spot. It's outside of I-495 though, yes?

Yep, by about 7,000 miles unfortunately :D Not bad to take your morning walk and see crocodiles, hippos and giraffes, we were happy not to see cape buffalo, leopards or lions in the woods along the river (lots and lots of tracks!)

Rub it in - Rub it in

"Yep, by about 7,000 miles unfortunately Not bad to take your morning walk and see crocodiles, hippos and giraffes, we were happy not to see cape buffalo, leopards or lions in the woods along the river (lots and lots of tracks!)"
lucky you
and i sit here at my desk...............zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I had spotted a bobcat at our local reservoir at dusk. I knew immediately that this was not one of the local dogs, a coyote, or a large domestic cat. Not even a Maine coon cat! AT first it was very frightening. I noted that he did not have a long tail and his coloring was not that of a mountain lion which did not do much to calm me down because I was not aware at the time that bobcats are not interested in pursuing humans.
The book "Beast in the Garden" is excellent. I found it particularly interesting to read how the "experts" handled the situation. Denial was a wonderful thing until they reaped the consequences.
I fully appreciate that some folks would not be able to diffentiate between a mountain lion and a golden retriever or a coyote.
Yet.......the sighting in Acton seems credible to me. Also, the fact that there was more than one siting in a relatively short period of time seems to make it even more plausible. The description of the size, the color, the speed and the roar!!!!!!:eek:
It is very exciting but I have to say that in retrospect I am happy that I saw a bobcat and not a lion. I would sooner see a lion crossing in front of my truck than hiking or biking.

Hope you don't mind me tagging this to the thread :)

From this description, what did I see?

Seen at dusk from about 20ft distance in the open.
Body - ~2ft in length, sleek, short haired, dark tan no markings, sagging in middle
Legs - long
Head - small, feline, round, small upright ears, no visible tufts
Tail - almost as long as body, held out straight but with a dip and curl at end

It was a brief encounter. It was crossing in front of me, stopped, stared for a few seconds then made a quick exit leaping effortlessly over a 3ft high obstruction.

Thanks,
Bob

That is a great story about a mountain lion in E. Mass.. Out here in the far west (Berkshire Cty), we've had fairly common sightings of lions. But it seems like every time a sighting is reported to DFW, they write it off as a bobcat or coyote. I have to say that unless it's in a very poor lighting situation, there's a big difference between bobcats, coyotes, and mountain lions.

5 years ago, my neighbor down the road had a mountain lion on her porch. She took pictures of it, and then called DFW to report it. She told them she had pictures and that there was a paw print in the mud. DFW told her they would send someone by to look at the photo and the print. She waited for a couple of days and no one showed, so she took a plaster cast of the print. Armed with cast and photo, she delivered them to the DFW headquarters, where they told her it was not proof of a lion. I have a friend in the employ of the State who tells me that the DFW is hesitant to officially concede the existance of mountain lions, due to the fact that the DFW would have to develop a management strategy for them! HMMM!

I did see the pictures and the cast from my neighbor and there is no way that could be a bobcat, dog, or coyote. One of these days they'll have to face the music.

Lions

I believe its possible Lions are in the east, although proboly not many. In the event that someone does encounter one, remember a lion is looking for prey, so you must convince it your not dinner. Raise your arms and try to look big, make noise as well, yet do not try and be aggressive. During this process, slowly back away and give them a chance to flee which they proboly will.
Out west most of the attacks have been the result of people running or biking which to a lion simulates something running away as to not be eaten. :eek:

Jim lombard said:

I was thinking of this yesterday when we saw really fresh bear tracks on the Discovery trail. A light coating of snow was great for spotting tracks.

el-bagr said:
HikerBob, that sounds like a HikerBobCat.
When I first read this I thought it might be a bobcat . There is only one problem....the very long tail. Bobcats don't have tails the length of their bodies. Could it have been a young Catamount with mom nearby but not visible. I don't know at what age lions go off on their own.
Here is an excerpt from the cover of David Baron's book 'The Beast in the Garden."
"To inhabitants of the environmentally aware city of Boulder, the lions' return is cause for celebration-initially. As the massive cats take up residence among houses and feast on pets, the animals' presence turns ominous, provoking political battles and culminating in the unthinkable-the death of a young athlete, hunted by a lion behind a nearby high school.
The book reveals the subtle yet powerful ways in which human actions are altering wildlife behavior , and it demonstarates that the death in CO signaled the start of a worrisome trend-one that continues today.
As thought- provoking as it is harrowing, The Beast in the Garden is a tale of nature corrupted, the clash betseeen civilization and wildness, and artificiality of the modern American landscape. It is, ultimately, a book about the future of our nation, where suburban sprawl and wildlife-protection laws are pushing people and wild animals into uncomfortable, sometimes deadly proximity."
After Fifi became an appetizer for the lion the Division of Wildlife in CO suggested that "the mountain lion's behavior was not particularly noteworthy. Definitely there is not any concern for humans-they are very afraid of people."
When Barney the dog met the same fate is was discovered that the lion had been stalking the property for weeks!!!
These folks had plenty of warning before the lions devoure the teen jogger.
I think one of the most interesting things about lions is they will be watching you long before you ever get so much as a glimpse of them.
It appears there have been a number of reliable mountain lion sitings in New England We probably are not overun by them yet.... but our story remains to be written.