Water Source Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant M
I just bought a filter and used it for the first time a week ago. I have always heard/assumed that it is best to pump from running water since any potential pathogens are continually being flushed along the water's path and they are therefore dispersed. However, I was just reading an article on the REI website that says clear, still water is best since pathogens will settle in still water but remain suspended in moving water. Any thoughts on this? If it is true, the related problem is that most still water I've seen in the backcountry is far from clear. "Still, clear" is almost oxymoronic when applied to most water sources I've run across!

Matt

Matt,
The first time I got a filter, I read the same thing and thought "There sure are a lot of things floating around in pond water. How could it be cleaner??"

After a few years of chewing on it and playing around with different water gathering options (and waiting for water to settle in a jug in order to filter water from a glacial stream) I realized that I think they mean, get a jug of water from a stream and let it sit for an hour to let everything settle then pump and filter from near the top of the jug.

Sometime I carry a gallon milk jug with the first 1/3 of the top cut off specifically for this purpose. My cookset fits inside of it so I have no extra space being tied up in my pack.
Hope this helps

Last edited:
Rick said:
Matt,
The frst time I got a filter, I read the same thing and thought "There sure are a lot of things floating around in pond water. How could it be cleaner??"

After a few years of chewing on it a playing around (and waiting to filter water from a glacial stream) I realized that I think they mean, get a jug of water from a stream and let it sit for an hour to let everything settle then pump and filter from near the top of the jug.

Sometime I carry a gallon milk jug with the first 1/3 of the top cut off specifically for this purpose. My cookset fits inside of it so I have no extra space being tied up in my pack.
Hope this helps

Makes sense. Thanks

The purported reason for clear lake water to be better than stream water is UV from the sun kills many of the pathogens near the surface.

Re: settling:
I doubt that you will find too much rock flour in the water in the northeast. Might be useful for sediment.

Doug

Good idea though, Rick. That would certainly be the best solution. Also a good way to carry water for dishes. I always try to find a little pool or low flow area of a stream to filter out of. I was told to do this because in running water there is much more suspended material being carried along that will clog the filter sooner? Not because of pathogens.

Doc McPeak said:
I always try to find a little pool or low flow area of a stream to filter out of. I was told to do this because in running water there is much more suspended material being carried along that will clog the filter sooner? Not because of pathogens.

In the all of one time I've so far used my filter I wrapped a bandana around the intake end to keep out floating stuff. It must be working-it's hasn't clogged yet! ;)

Matt

Doc McPeak said:
I was told to do this because in running water there is much more suspended material being carried along that will clog the filter sooner?
Some people use a coffee filter on the end of the intake hose for this purpose.

Doug

Last edited:
I find that coffee filters tend to dramatically slow down the rate of flow for my water filter. I use a bandana to help prefilter. I'm not sure if the bandana works as good though.