Weminuche Wilderness Area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
Has anyone got any experience out there?

I am going to visit one of my sisters and was told by a friend who has hiked a lot out there that I should check out the area.

Planning on starting by ordering a map of the area...

Thanks!

;)

Steve spent a week there a few years ago. All I know is he rode some train and a mountain goat ate the strap off his trekking pole and part of his hat. Send him a pm (halfmoon) and he can tell you more. Here's the pics from his trip:

Weminuche Wilderness

Hey Christine,

I have been to the Weminuche a few times -- during a Colorado Trail thru-hike, climbing the Chicago Basin 14ers (ditto watching out for the mountain goats - they're like squirrels there!), and a couple of day hikes to/from the Divide. Stunning scenery, gnarly mountains, lots of wildlife... If you go, make sure to get up to the Divide!

Yup

Chrissie

My step sis & her lifelong sig other are as expert as you can get re the Wem. Joe is a mtn man guide and lives right there in Durango. I was actually heading out there later this year to do some backcountry with him but he sadly is having to get some chemo so I'm not going. But I'm sure he and/or Karen can give you all the beta you need as well as show you around/put you up is Joe is well enough. Just email me. I hooked Spencer & Joanna up with them a year or two ago. Might wanna talk to Spence as well.

Does the book 'Colorado's Fourteeners' by Gerry Roach cover that area well, or am I better off getting one that specifically covers this area?

My hiking bookshelf and map collection is growing, but so is my comfort level at branching out and covering more areas!

Maybe in 2013 I'll even try shudder getting out of the Uninted States!

:rolleyes:

Does the book 'Colorado's Fourteeners' by Gerry Roach cover that area well, or am I better off getting one that specifically covers this area?

Not really. It only covers the Chicago Basin peaks - Window, Eolus, Sunlight. Nat'l Geographic's Trails Illustrated series is a great map; it's #140 for the Weminuche.

Depending on how much time you have, a good loop (with small hitchhike or long roadwalk) is to go up the Elk Creek Trail, over Hunchback Pass, down Vallecito Trail, up Johnson Creek to Columbine Pass, and then drop into Chicago Basin (popular area for peakbaggers and goats). There are plenty of side excursions possible for off-trail travel and peakbagging and exploring, but you could also do the whole loop in 3-4.

Make sure to acclimate first!

Grab the NatGeo Trails Illustrated map for the Weminuche.

Big area. Kinda depends on where you're starting from. Could do a lot worse than starting from Molas and going east on the CT. Unless you're thinking of some 14ers?

Drop me a PM if you want some company on-trail.