Wet boots and feet

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadRiver

Reaction score
I had the strangest think happen on the Hancock hike. When I returned home and took off my Koflach boots the inner booty was soaked as well as my socks and there was a good shot glass amount of water at the bottom of the outer boot. After I dried the inside of the plastic boots I filled a tub full of water and submerged the boots above the laces. I let each boot sit in the water for a good 5 minutes and neither boot leaked, which was my initial concern. Normally my socks are wet because my feet sweat and there is no where for the moisture to go. However, this is the first time that I had this amount of water in the boot at the end of a hike.

As usual I was wearing my Koflach boots with full gaiters, two pairs of thermal underwear (one light the other expedition weight) and my kilt. Halfway to the North peak it started to rain. I put on my waterproof pullover and neglected to put on my rain pants and just stayed with the kilt. My kilt isn’t waterproof, yet can take some foul weather without to much problem. Although my legs never got cold, nor did I feel a river cascading down my legs I’m wondering if the wet kilt transferred the water to my thermals and as gravity will do, it just ran down my legs into my boots. It does seem like an excessive amount of water given I didn’t really feel cold or wet, at least on my legs. My feet, however, were soaking wet once I reach the flats. Once I reached the truck and took off my kilt and sat in the truck heating it up before leaving I noticed that the drive set was soaking wet. I just find it odd that all this water could have transferred from the kilt and into my boots without me feeling cold. Anyways, I’m confused.

In winter I get a ton of condensation inside my gaiters. That with the sweat may have contributed.
You say a shot glass worth?

DaveG

Last edited:
I'd guess sweat had a lot to do with it.

You mention a shot of it. How was it? "Flaming Foot Sweat" Sounds nasty.