What age a puppy can hike?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has been a very interesting read. If it had been 5 years ago perhaps I would have approached things differently. Marlie's first mountain was Cardigan via West Ridge Tr at about 5 months. It was late winter/early spring and the trail was a packed snowy sidewalk. Soon after she climbed Smarts Mtn with our 4.5 lb pomeranian. It wasn't until after 6 months and her spaying surgery that we climbed Moosilauke for her first 4k. She finished her first round of 4ks at 1 yr 9 months. Seems a little too soon after reading the above but I have seen no negative effects. She is a mixed breed, some may say that is better, others not so. I pay very close attention to her such as if we stop does she keep sniffing around or look for a spot to lie down. She used to have a phobia of river crossings, probably because of the noise and movement but has over come that now. One thing I will say is not to force them. Reassure them that it is ok then reward them when they make it across. The same goes for rocky scrambles. She can now climb ladders like the one on Hi Cannon Tr and negotiate most of the trails on the northern Presis. I will agree that is is much safer and easier to just give them a boost up or lower them down big drops. There is no need to take extra risks. You hike as a team and assume that you look forward to many more hikes to come. I know I do.

@Tim - Yes, Bookah's vet always said that lots of jump downs are not good for young dogs from larger breeds in particular. She said that when the dog has worked up the walking miles, gradually introduce them to hikes, starting with ones where the trails are gradual and to 'assist them' when they are at the top of something where they have to jump.
I'll soon have to be relearning some of the things that I took for granted after Bookah's first few years.
Really want to concentrate on 'leave it', recalls, and especially on keeping her closer in the woods.
Very much appreciate all of the tips and comments. Please keep them coming if you're so inclined.

Alan

Really want to concentrate on 'leave it', recalls, and especially on keeping her closer in the woods.
Very much appreciate all of the tips and comments. Please keep them coming if you're so inclined.

A saying among SAR dog handlers (and others who work with dogs): "You get the dog you deserve." It's a shorthand way of saying that the more time you put into early training and socializing, the better the outcome down the line.

In my experience, success with "leave it", recalls and staying close is in no small part a product of building the relationship through lots of time together, be it focused training, playing games or just one-on-one time. If you're not sacrificing other activities to spend time with your dog, you're doing it wrong. ;)

Last edited:
All true. Leave it is very important, especially in light of the situation. Gryffin learned that early on. Being first timers, we enjoyed the classes a lot. In fact, I am off to advanced off-leash clicker training right now. Gryffin is asleep at my feet, for another minute or two.

Tim

I love these dog threads, as I have my first hiking dog and need to learn from the pro's. I have a Toyota pickup with a cap on it. My dog recently jumped through the open cap door over the tailgate! thank god he didn't get hurt. I now watch him to avoid that. While my dog can jump high and does while hiking, on steep high ledges, I'm not afraid to "help' him to avoid high jumps, mainly descending. I also use a harness and find that on real steep terrain, I can belay him or at least help him keep his footing and in some cases prevent a fall. My dog was 4 when I got him but he never hiked before me. I took 4 months to work up to full fledge hikes, making sure that he was ready. Now I know I'll die from exhaustion on the trail longggg before him, lol.