What hangs from your pack?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coyotes?

jjo said:
In addition to a few of items mentioned above, I (this will stamp me as a real wimp) carry pepper spray. A bad encounter w some coyotes vs my dog has prompted this. I know, I'm a wimp. I also now carry a knife.

Just out of curiousity, where were you when you encountered coyotes?

duane said:
Just out of curiousity, where were you when you encountered coyotes?

Illinois at a local park doing some day hiking...I know, not NE but it was a little scary. We have an abundance of coyotes here. I posted this story some time back on this forum. My single impression was how relentless and determined they are and my dog weighs over 90 lbs....

This is a little old, but I've changed my mind about stuff hanging from my pack.

I started with a whistle for safety, and then added a clip-on style altimeter for convenience. A also keep a baseball cap handy for swatting flies or for shade.

Then I also hang my gaiters and/or snowshoes from the back if need be.

So, I guess I'm a hanger now! :D

I've got the GPS in a little holster on the pack strap and the tiny camera pack on a separate little belt, otherwise nothing on the outside.
I drove myself nuts ( a short trip some might think ) for 20 years by carrying waterbottle pockets on sides of the pack, snagging on everything when 'whacking.
A long while ago, I started customizing the insides of whatever new pack joins the family.

I sew in a small nylon knife sheath on the inside top of my packs - Always there when you need it.
I also sew in various sized Eagle Creek zippered travel pockets.
These: http://www.eaglecreek.com/accessories/packing_sacs/
Weight about 2 oz each. Waterproff. Sew them right on the inside of the pack body. Put wallet, keys, etc in the bottom one. Out of harms way during the day. In another goes extra batteries, headlamp(s), compass, things I could need during the hike. Sometimes a 3 pocket to.

Can't believe how better organized the pack is when I know exactly, everytime, just where this stuff is.

Last edited:
A dog booty that my deceased dog used to wear for good luck.