What kind of scat is this?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When someone will acknowledge actually reading the links that I posted, and will acknowledge that moose can be present in the Catskills, ..
I cannot comment with any knowledge on moose scat. However, there have been scattered stories of bull moose passing through the Catskills. I have heard perhaps 1-2 moose sightings in the Catskills per decade. There were a few Catskill moose sightings in 2005 that were discussed in this VFTT thread: Moose Sighting Near Vroman's Nose. All of the newspaper links in that thread are no longer valid as the newspapers do not maintain archives and/or those newspaper websites have been restructured. But the attached image that Hermit posted of the moose that was hit and killed at the Kingston exit of the NYS Thruway is still on VFTT.

It has been 5 years since those last sightings so perhaps the Catskills are due for another bull moose passing through. The general consensus has always been that there have been no female moose sightings in the Catskills. If they could only bring a female with them we might develop some breeding stock. And the local bovines who inevitably seem to be pestered by the love sick bull moose might rest easier.

The same lack of breeding stock problem is generally thought to be true of Catskill cougars. There have been cougar sightings nearly every year. Last autumn there were many reports of a cougar in West Hurley, NY by a county deputy sheriff and others. Two hunters that I met on the Dutcher Notch trail also reported a prior cougar sighting on that trail. The trail is just a few miles south of Cairo, NY where a cougar sighting was mentioned in sardog's link: Cougars, Coyotes, and Bears, Oh My.