What's In Your T.W.P ? or Putting Your Tools Away for Winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisher Cat

Reaction score
Since Winter is on the rise I figured it was time to put the Trail Work Tools away and let them get much deserved rest. It got me to thinking, for all you fellow Trailworkers out there, what, how much, and in what do you carry with you? Yes, what's in your Trail Work Pack? I provided a link to my tools and am curious if anybody has favorite tools they've found useful, practical, or something they can't do without. Please share what you have.

The link only has 3 pics. One of which is a group photo of everything in the pack. Please don't think it weird that I named some of my favorite tools. Two of the ones named are done so after famous Jefferson NH residents of the past which anyone who went through Jefferson Elementary School has drilled into their head.

http://fishercat.smugmug.com/gallery/6802727_xvzuQ/1/434771058_Gj9AM#434771058_Gj9AM

Last edited:
Depending on what needs to be done determines what I bring. However, my favorite tool is a rake. Even after cleaning out the waterbars after winter with a hazel hoe, I always carry a rake to continually clean the waterbars on each trip. The waterbar might need to be sculpted, so a rake give a quick cleaning as I head down the trail.

I always carry three tools when out for a basic trailwork trip:

1. Small garden hoe
2. 18" bowsaw
3. A long-handled set of loppers

If the work trip is more project-specific, I bring the additional tools and helpers to complete the project, ie; rock bar for heavy rock work, an axe, chainsaw, or bigger bowsaw for blowdowns, etc. I also carry a flat bastard file for sharpening the lopper blades, since that is the tool that seems to get the most use/abuse.

It's all in the basement now, awaiting the arrival of spring....

Depending on what needs to be done determines what I bring. However, my favorite tool is a rake. Even after cleaning out the waterbars after winter with a hazel hoe, I always carry a rake to continually clean the waterbars on each trip. The waterbar might need to be sculpted, so a rake give a quick cleaning as I head down the trail.

MadRiver, do you mean that you bring a full-size, full-length rake? Is it some type of trail rake, or do you saw off part of the handle so its not so bulky?

tools

I usually have 3 tools with me on trail adopter hikes

1: Telescoping handle mini grub hoe with three pronger on the other edge..great for water bars and clearing steps

2: 12 inch bow saw..I used to carry a folding bow saw but it took as long to get it organized as to cut the offender..Considering changing to a folding handle fixed blade for compactness

3: fiberglass handle medium size loppers

seems to take care of most stuff

Last edited:
No need to put it all away for winter. I've done trail maintenance while on snowshoes. Can't do much on the treadway, but one can clear brush, branches, and blowdowns.

Besides, it is easier to get those just-too-high branches...

Doug