Where the Wild Cat Roams

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sardog1

Reaction score
If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
NH Fish and Game's Wildlife Journal magazine has an interesting new article on bobcats, Where the Wild Cat Roams. One of the things that I learned is that the feds have a role in managing bobcats through the CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species), despite the fact that the species is not listed by the feds under the Endangered Species Act.

Article mentions it is an "Appendix II" creature in CITES, which prohibits the transfer of the creature cross borders. Having raised a couple tarantulas as pets before, as mentioned in the article, it removes a bit of the international trade of said creature but doesn't completely prohibit the capture of wild animals. All tarantulas in the USA that are Appendix II spiders of CITES that aren't native to the US of A are basically "farm-raised" in various tarantula breeder facilities here, they are not wild-caught, at least legally.

Jay

One thing I learned: existence of the Quabbin-to-Cardigan Conservation Collaborative,

which is an effort by 23 public and private partners to create 100-plus miles of conservation lands stretching from the Quabbin Reservoir in central Massachusetts up to the White Mountains.

Hiking relevance: wanna bet somebody proposes a trail along this entire length?
(I think Metacomet-Monadnock already is in this area, as is part of the AT.)