Who Bears the Cost of SAR Operations in Two Western States

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Rooney

Reaction score
There's often discussion on this board about who should pay for SAR operations for hikers.

Here's an interesting thread, with actual FACTUAL information, related to this topic for lost hikers/mountaineers in California, as well as some info related to Colorado. I know that many on this board are familiar with the Sierra, and some have done Shasta.

Pay particular attention to Bob R.'s comments, as he is a long-time member of the China Lake Mountain Rescue Group (CLMRG), an organization which frequently is called out for Sierra (and elsewhere - one time they helped in the ADK's) operations, including the recovery of Steve Fossett's body.

http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=59128#Post59128

So, enjoy your trips to the Sierra, knowing that if you do get in a jam, somebody's got your back (and not your wallet).

Despite frequent claims to the contrary, I have not found any jurisdiction in the lower 48 for which SAR costs are routinely billed out to the victims without regard for circumstances. (Counterexamples welcome!) AAC membership does come with a fair bit of insurance. It doesn't cover medical transport, however, and I just moved out of the cheap membership bracket, so I haven't shelled out.

In many states where counties really exist, the county sheriff is in charge of S&R.

I bought a COSAR card for my son when he was living in Colorado.

Hmmmm...I've got to ask him whether he was asked for it when he was evacuated from breaking his back in a mountain bike crash in Gunnison.

Last edited:
I bought a COSAR card for my son when he was living in Colorado.

Hmmmm...I've got to ask him whether he was asked for it when he was evacuated from breaking his back in a mountain bike crash in Gunnison.

I looked at that photo, and as my stomach flip-flopped, all I could think of was "Oh my gawd ...".

How about this pix? Just what every mom wants sent to her when she lives far, far away.

Last edited:
AAC membership does come with a fair bit of insurance. It doesn't cover medical transport, however, and I just moved out of the cheap membership bracket, so I haven't shelled out.

AAC membership does not come with insurance. The same terms are listed in their Rescue Benefit Grid as I discussed last year at this time.