Why Norwegians Drag Around In Winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you drag it or carry it when camping in the winter?

• I drag everything but the clothes on my back.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • I usually drag some and carry some at the same time.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • I usually carry it all, but I\'m thinking of dragging some this winter.

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • I dragged some once and hated it. Never again.

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • I have never dragged it and have no intention of starting.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • This poll question is a drag.

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters

sardog1

Reaction score
If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
No, it's not because they don't know how to have fun. (But some Dane is likely to contradict that.......)

It's because they (and some of their Norwegian-American relatives) would generally drag it rather than carry it. "It" is namely almost everything for winter camping but the clothes on our backs. So, as the days shorten and folks debate the merits of down vs. synthetic sleeping bags, the relative lightness and safety of various shelter options, winter stoves and fuels, etc., this inquiring mind would like to know:

Do you carry it or drag it when you camp in the winter? Please answer the poll question and then state your reasons. If you have sled/toboggan/pulk plans to share, so much the better. (Yes, I know there are some old links here to various plans. But wouldn't it be nice to have a new set at hand?)

Personally, I drag it whenever possible. (Actually, the dog drags it whenever possible, which is even better. :) ) There's too much "it" in winter for me to think of doing otherwise.

I borrowed a friend's home-made sled a few years ago for a 2 day Owl's Head excursion with the bushwack. For an appropriate trail that's sled-friendly, it makes the going sooooo much better (on the shoulders).

I always drag it. Well, wait, I don't hike in a skirt so how could that be true?
;)

I was a little uncertain the first time I pulled a sled, up Zealand Road in snowshoes. Since then, however, I have been truly enlightened. If the trail supports skiing and dragging, I am a definite advocate. Pulling a sledload of gear up to the Caribou Valley was a lot of fun and much easier on the back than carrying. Skiing back down the road with the sled was fantastic fun.

Heck, this winter I'm going to drag gear up Sawyer River Road to Sawyer Pond just to camp for the night and enjoy the ski back out!

Where can you get a good dragging sled? All these new-fangled sleds are either too small or have no runners, so they'd be impossible to keep on the trail. Also, to those thinking about beginning to drag, get your sled early. I began looking after Christmas last year and had trouble even finding a limited selection.

I built my sled a couple of years ago,using a Paris Expedition sled,and PVC for the frame arrangement. I also built a collapsable "push bar" so Mrs. KD can help on the uphills. We used it to XC ski to Zealand,so I know what Michael J was refering to.
Skiing down the road,pulling the sled...no,actually skiing down the road,with the sled pushing me!! Surprise!! Here's the gate!!:eek:

Mostly use it on flatter trails,and it's great for hauling gear into Monadnock in winter.

I have pulled a sled for the past 3 years. On flats/slight incline, it can't be beat. On steeper terrain, you quikly lose your advantage. Some great trips, one rough one. I did a major rehaul on my sled after it failed on the Sewards trip last winter and can't wait to use it. I have some pics and will try to find them. Suffice it to say that despite my earlier assurances that PVC works fine, I am an aluminum conduit convert.

Last year was the first time I pulled a sled and I loved it.
Mine cost about $9.

I had no problem with steeper terrain because the pvs pipes were fixed in a way that avoided this problem (thanks to Charlie, who designed and built it). The only tough part for me was if I fell, I would still be attached to the sled and that proved somewhat painful.

Kevin Rooney said:
Similar to SherpaKroto - under the right conditions, it's the only way to go. But, not all considitions are right. As with most things, it's not an either/or.

i voted "carry everything".

i tend to believe if you can't fit it in your pack then you really don't need it...

the sled just adds to this, you start thinking of ways to carry and bind MORE items the NEEDED..

you then have the issue of "is the trail flat enough to use the thing" this furthers the issue of the NEED of items in your pack... if you plan to bring everything in with a sled but then realize you can't because of terrain, you now need to plan to use jsut the pack....

besides, the mobility and balance that a pack gives you lets you get to places faster and easier no matter the terrain....no worring about if the sled will flip over on a turn. no worries about the sled being bogged down in powder snow etc etc...

pack is where it's at....

ADackR: It's more matching the trip to the gear, not the reverse. I work my overnights planning when and where I'll haul. It's not just about bagging a peak - the camping is as important as the climb. Nothing like skiing in with the sled, having a nice fire (saw) in a deep pit (shovel) before retiring to a comfortable spacious 4 season tent. The next day I can slip on the snowshoes (or crampons), slap on a daypack, and head up, leaving the other gear behind. So I take a bit more on a trip: I like car camping an awful lot too. On a trip to the Bonds a few years ago I skied in to the Bond Cliff Trail, snowshoed with the sled to just shy of the 3rd crossing, stashed the sled and hefted the pack for the last mile to the campsite. I was a lot fresher than if I had carried everything all the way.

For Baxter State Park trips, IMHO, there is NO other way to go.

With help I made a simple sled to give it a try. It was fun but quite noisy. Since I basically only day hike I don't really have the need. But if I could do some overnights I'd make another (being sure everything was detachable so I coud do some toboggin runs while I'm out there :D )

Absolutely, Tramper! I enjoyed it last year for Redington, and if the opportunity comes up this year I'll do it again for the surrounding 4K's.
:)

Well, Stinkyfeet . . . if I fail at constructing one (even with Sherpa's help . . . yes I am going to let Sherpa help me with this one) then I just might take you up on that offer . . . but hopefully I can make one of my own . . . we'll see

sli74

I've made a few sleds and used them some but they only work in certain cases. For most trips in the ADKs the trails are too steep/narrow/rocky(pick one) for a sled to work well. Unless your sled is very narrow the trail is just the right width to keep your sled on one side or the other. A snowmobile trail is perfect.The only place I've had real good luck was on the Corey's road approach to the Sewards where I left the sled at the register to use on the return trip. Your results may vary.

What a Drag!!

I used to drag nearly everything on my homemade pulk...including the kids. Unfortunately it flew off the top of my roofrack one blustery day. I'm now looking to build another for the upcoming winter season.

sled.jpg

Sleds are the only way to go for Baxter State Park, Denali, and lake sediment coring expeditions (i.e., lots of heavy pipe, etc.). But, I have not had much success with home-made pvc attachments, which tend to break on me. I will try aluminum conduit next. For day trips in the Whites, however, I think that sleds are a definite burden; one year on our annual ski through of the Pemigewasett some friends brought their adapted "K-Mart-type" sled, which worked fine as far as Zealand Hut, but then became problematic on parts of the route through Zealand Notch and the lower Shoal Pond Trail where we were side-hilling. Even with a drop rope to guide the back of the sled, it was just plain grueling trying to keep the sled in our tracks. "Never again!" said my friends; " you were right, we were wrong." I never said "I told you so."

I'm a dragger :)

Two Baxter trips, South Branch and Chimney Pond. The only way to go. I agree with Sherpa on the conduit tubing. I had a harness fabricated out of conduit for mine. I use a longer sled than Blue, I'd rather have gear spread out lower than stacked higher, which makes the sled less tippy.

Last edited:
prino.....

i know (?) that's probably some type of belt around your waist but i had to laugh cuz it looks more like your pants are coming off! brrrrrrr
:p