Wild River Road Status

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I know Wild River Road has been closed, likely for the season, but I was curious if anyone had any updates on it. TrailsNH and the USFS page don't seem to have anything beyond the initial closure (11/21/23 and 3/22/24 respectively).

>Has anyone visited the area? Is it gated right at Rte 113 or is partial travel possible (i.e. to Burnt Mill Brook Trailhead)?
>Is foot travel allowed or is that prohibited?(I think the USFS just mentioned snowmobile traffic not allowed and the campground is closed until further notice but it didn't mention foot traffic).

I usually take a multiday trip in there every July so this has been a huge bummer. Most of the terrain I prefer is more to the Central/SE of the Wilderness so I'm trying to decide if it is worth a big (and potentially annoying) road walk in to Burnt Mill or Sherburne or if alternate routes like Bog Brook or one of the steep routes out of Evans Notch would be more sensible.

If anyone has the latest news or has traveled the road to check it out I'd appreciate the info. Thanks in advance.

I know Wild River Road has been closed, likely for the season, but I was curious if anyone had any updates on it. TrailsNH and the USFS page don't seem to have anything beyond the initial closure (11/21/23 and 3/22/24 respectively).

>Has anyone visited the area? Is it gated right at Rte 113 or is partial travel possible (i.e. to Burnt Mill Brook Trailhead)?
>Is foot travel allowed or is that prohibited?(I think the USFS just mentioned snowmobile traffic not allowed and the campground is closed until further notice but it didn't mention foot traffic).

I usually take a multiday trip in there every July so this has been a huge bummer. Most of the terrain I prefer is more to the Central/SE of the Wilderness so I'm trying to decide if it is worth a big (and potentially annoying) road walk in to Burnt Mill or Sherburne or if alternate routes like Bog Brook or one of the steep routes out of Evans Notch would be more sensible.

If anyone has the latest news or has traveled the road to check it out I'd appreciate the info. Thanks in advance.
You can get in there pretty quick using the East Royce trail off 113. I climb East and West Royce from there and it's pretty nice.

Friend of mine walked the road last week, this is what she wrote, "Counted 18 full washouts in 5.5 miles, 3 of them are REALLY BAD!"

I'll probably head out there soon and try and get some pictures.
That would be appreciated. I'd take the Highwater Trail but areas of that are so messed up that I figured walking the road, even if it is messed up, would be faster. You can't lose the road...(or at least I hope it's not that bad! :p)

You can get in there pretty quick using the East Royce trail off 113. I climb East and West Royce from there and it's pretty nice.
I've done West Royce via Burnt Mill Brook and LOVE that summit area! All the moss and carpeted pathways are tremendously scenic. I think this is my favorite way up that ridge although the Basin Trail is also very nice. I've never done East Royce. East Royce looks like a steep climb (I think 1200-1300 ft in just 1 mile) and I'll be toting water for an overnight and camera gear so I was trying to avoid. Then again, just killing myself early and getting to the "good stuff" right away can work too. :)

That would be appreciated. I'd take the Highwater Trail but areas of that are so messed up that I figured walking the road, even if it is messed up, would be faster. You can't lose the road...(or at least I hope it's not that bad! :p)

They were able to get a quad to the campground for a recent rescue, I'm sure you'll be fine.

I've done West Royce via Burnt Mill Brook and LOVE that summit area! All the moss and carpeted pathways are tremendously scenic. I think this is my favorite way up that ridge although the Basin Trail is also very nice. I've never done East Royce. East Royce looks like a steep climb (I think 1200-1300 ft in just 1 mile) and I'll be toting water for an overnight and camera gear so I was trying to avoid. Then again, just killing myself early and getting to the "good stuff" right away can work too. :)
It's steep right out of the gate, but it's not a long section. You get to the junction and it levels right out.

Another option to get to the Wild River Campground without a 5 mile road walk would be to take the Basin Trail from the Basin Campground. There is one steep section approaching Rim Junction, but the rest is pretty mild .

Given the FS proclivity to get rid of things that might require maintenance in the future like the nearby Moriah Brook bridge, I wonder if they might just close down the campground and leave the road like it is until they have a planned cut that needs the road? My guess is the revenue from the campground will not cover the nearly yearly spring rebuild of the road. These 100-year flood events are now happening nearly yearly, sometime multiple times.

Is hike-in camping legal at Wild River? I realize that even if not, any rule is prolly not enforced, but I’m getting to an age where I try to obey the law whenever it’s convenient ;-)