Wild River road

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
For our 4th trip up the Royce's I was planning on trying a new approach via the Burnt Mill brook trail. Looks like the Wild River road is closed and it's too far to walk it. From what I could gather from the Forest Service site, this closure is fairly permanent? I know Daytrip haunts that area, maybe next summer?

For our 4th trip up the Royce's I was planning on trying a new approach via the Burnt Mill brook trail. Looks like the Wild River road is closed and it's too far to walk it. From what I could gather from the Forest Service site, this closure is fairly permanent? I know Daytrip haunts that area, maybe next summer?
I don't think so. I talked to a hiker who took his bike down the road to check out the situation. I believe he said the road was being has been worked on but not done.

Reactions: TEO
I think JoshandBaron mentioned in a prior post it would be at least 2025 before work would proceed. I was last there in early July of this year and at that point no work had begun and no equipment was staged.

I think the road walk to Burnt Mill Brook is only 2.2 miles. If you want to spice it up a bit you can take the Highwater Trail (early on it is pretty much intact. It is when you get around the Sherburne Trail that it turns into a <BLEEP> show) and just cut across the river to Burnt Mill. The river has been so low I've just been walking the brook bed this year, which is pretty enjoyable, and zig zagging from trail to river to road.

EDIT: Wild River At Gilead gauge today was 30.7 cfs, which is really low. Generally speaking, when that gauge is under 100cfs you can rock hop across the river just about wherever you want, even the "problem" crossings along the way.

I think JoshandBaron mentioned in a prior post it would be at least 2025 before work would proceed. I was last there in early July of this year and at that point no work had begun and no equipment was staged.

I think the road walk to Burnt Mill Brook is only 2.2 miles. If you want to spice it up a bit you can take the Highwater Trail (early on it is pretty much intact. It is when you get around the Sherburne Trail that it turns into a <BLEEP> show) and just cut across the river to Burnt Mill. The river has been so low I've just been walking the brook bed this year, which is pretty enjoyable, and zig zagging from trail to river to road.

EDIT: Wild River At Gilead gauge today was 30.7 cfs, which is really low. Generally speaking, when that gauge is under 100cfs you can rock hop across the river just about wherever you want, even the "problem" crossings along the way.
Very nice update. I concur rivers are way low! I believe the drought line is now just below the National Forest.