wildcat x country trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikerfast

Reaction score
whats this cross country ski trail from wildcat down to jackson all about? is it maintained? is it free? where can i read about it? does anyone know about it or has anyone skiied it?

Wildcat Valley trail runs from the top of the lifts at Wildcat down to trails which connect to Jackson. It is part of the Jackson trail system. Maintained, fee.

A nice run, or at least it was when I did it 25 yrs ago.

You can ascend Wildcat on skins (we did it on waxes--it was BS--before skins)
or get a single ride lift ticket. Should be info at the Wildcat and/or Jackson web sites.

Doug

thanks. how is it to ski down. i have 20 year old skinny long skis, that would be considered touring now, and i have a borrowed pair of backcountry skis about as tall as me. i am by no means an expert.

hope this helps:
http://www.jacksonxc.com/Trail_System.htm
http://www.jacksonxc.com/jstftrailmap.htm
http://www.jacksonxc.com/wildcat.htm
http://www.skiwildcat.com

Wildcat Valley Trail - 17.8 km, Most Difficult; connects the summit of Wildcat Mountain to Jackson Village. Skiers should be in top physical condition and thoroughly prepared before attempting upper most section of trail. Skiers must walk 1 mi. Carter Notch Road to Black Mountain Cabin Trail before trail picks up again 150 meters along Melloon Road. A J.S.T.F. parking lot is available 1/2 mile north of Melloon Road. Upper trail closes at 2 PM. Elev. Differential 3,240 Ft.

hikerfast said:
thanks. how is it to ski down. i have 20 year old skinny long skis, that would be considered touring now, and i have a borrowed pair of backcountry skis about as tall as me. i am by no means an expert.
I think a pair of metal edged skis would be nice, but we used to ski this with basic X-C touring gear. The most difficult part is the very top, there are a series of switchbacks that require you to control your speed and turn. Once you get below that it's fairly easy skiing, but you are away from help so you should be self-sufficient.

It's a fun ski, stash a car at Dana Place or in Jackson and make it a nice trip.

-dave-

When I did it 25 yrs ago, I used 200cm wooden Bonna 2000s with lignostone (compressed impregnated wood) edges. I survived, so I guess that it is doable with old gear. Also climbed up a ski slope at Wildcat with the same skis and waxes. (We were too cheap to pay for a single ride lift ticket.)

Doug

Not Free

The trail is part of the Jackson Ski Touring Foundation system. You are supposed to have a Jackson STF pass. They have been known to have a person collecting the fee (selling tickets) at the top of Wildcat. They probably won't this friday due to the poor snow conditions this winter and the day of the week. But I would bring some cash just in case.

TomW

DougPaul said:
When I did it 25 yrs ago, I used 200cm wooden Bonna 2000s with lignostone (compressed impregnated wood) edges. I survived, so I guess that it is doable with old gear. Also climbed up a ski slope at Wildcat with the same skis and waxes. (We were too cheap to pay for a single ride lift ticket.)

Doug

I still have a pair of those wooden Bonnas with lignostone edges. They've held up incredibly well. I still use them occasionally. Several pairs of boots have worn out over the course of the time I've used them, and it's hard to find boots to fit those bindings now but they are one heckuva pair of skis. Beautiful wood varnish finish.

> I still have a pair of those wooden Bonnas with lignostone edges.

A classic back-country ski.

Still have mine too--sitting upstairs with a nice coat of pine tar (burn-in, of course) on the bases. Good skis--did a lot of skiing on them--but I haven't used them in a while. Wish those new-fangled plastic ski bases would hold wax half as well as the wood bases...

Doug