Wilderness First Aid Course?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomEske

Reaction score
I live in the Catskilld region (near Kingston), does anyone know where I can take a Wilderness First Aid course such as the Red Cross offers? The Ulster county Red Cross does not offer this course. As a group leader, I could use a course that teaches more than "Stabilze and transport", as you all know when you're 'out there' you are on your own.
I've been lucky so far, but the statistics say I'm due to get something serious on my hands any trip now.
Any suggestions? I'm looking for a one day deal, not a 6 week course. I've had a few courses in the past, just new any advanced techniques to get my patient safely off the mountain.
Tom

Tom,

If you're talking about a true Wilderness First Aid certification, it's a 16 hour, normally two-day course. I don't think Red Cross offers these; you'd probably have to look to some outdoor company. I've had very good experiences in my four courses with Wilderness Medical Associates (www.wildmed.com), and highly recommend them. They list their course schedule online. You may have to travel or wait for a course to be held in your area.

I found Wilderness First Aid (WFA) really enlightening the first time I took it -- a dramatic improvement over any Red Cross course. At the same time, many WFA techniques end in "stabilize and evacuate." It is the Wilderness First Responder (a 72 hour course) that really starts expanding what you can do in the field, largley because you learn to assess spine injuries and decide who needs a backboard and who can walk.

But again, for a general look at wilderness techniques, WFA is a great course.

Cheers!

Thanks all! I'm gonna hook up with the AMC TOPO course when it comes to town. I was hoping for a single day, but two days should teach me twice as much.
For the record, the Red Cross does have a course they call "Wilderness First Aid", it's just that none of the local chapters seem to offer it. I wish they would.
If I had the time, I'd take the OEC (Outdoor Emergency Course), which is more for mountain EMTs and ski patrol, but all my volenteer time is already spoken for. Still, knowledge is power.
Thanks again. The great knowledge of this user group is just fantastic.
Tom

SOLO course still has openings in Albany

Hey TomEske or anyone interested in the class!

There is a SOLO course that is being offered in Albany on Jan 24 and 25. I just confirmed with the organizer that there are still openings for anyone interested. It is a 2 day course (9am - 5pm) and costs $130. Send me an email or PM, since I'm not sure if I should post his addresses here.

Stay safe!:)

Oh man I really appreciate this and would be all over it, but I am committed to running an orienteering deal that weekend. Please post any others you here od. It it were this weekend, I'd be there.
Who is sponsoring this course? I must have missed that group in my searches, and would like to check out the rest of their schedule.
Thanks for the info. I can't figure out how I ever found my way out into the woods without this group. What a resource!
Tom

Albany Adk, I believe

TomEske!
I believe it is through the Albany ADK or maybe the 46Rs.
Too bad it doesn't work for you. It is only offered once a year, I believe. But I will happily look into it and get back to you.
More later,