winter gear help

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
is this a good choice for a second layer under my outer layer?
http://www.ems.com/products/product...avigation/subcategory.jsp&bmUID=1129650263280
or would this be a better choice?
http://www.ems.com/products/product...ion/promo_subcategory.jsp&bmUID=1129650463695

for a outer jacket, is this one good enough for the adk high peaks?
http://www.ems.com/products/product...avigation/subcategory.jsp&bmUID=1129650583417
or would this be a better one?
http://www.ems.com/products/product...avigation/subcategory.jsp&bmUID=1129650770019

if you have a better choice for these two please fell free to chim in.

What kind of activity are you doing. Hiking, camping, running?

If you are doing hiking or camping:

If you go with the Wildcat ridge (just a shell) then I'd say get the Divergence to go along with it, the thermonator won't be enough as the insulation layer and it's not really meant to be worn over a wicking layer.

The Thermonator won't be good enough as your main insulation piece unless you are doing heavy exercising in the cold like running. If you want to get it then it could be used as a skin layer with the Cascade, and that combo will keep you very warm.

If you get the Cascade (shell and zipped insulation) then I'd say get a mid-weight or heavy weight bergelene or capilene skin layer for under it (or the thermonator) and you should be fine for many temps- The insulation layer in the jacket is very warm and light for a synthetic (primaloft) and if you need any more insulation you could have a mid weight and heavy weight berglene/capilene that you can layer as needed under the Cascade.

Last edited:
I'm rethinking my apparel for this winter and like the looks of this set-up:
Insulated Outerwear

Insulated inner wear

Shell

Everone's needs and metabolism are a little different.

I'll wear a very light long-sleeved synth shirt and the shell or a softshell type shirt most of the time because I sweat so much but want the insulation (and a dry base layer) for the stops. Synthetic for the outer layer so it stays warm even if damp (thinking unexpected overnight) and the inner vest would be just to make sure.

I've got some knee (and ankle, elbow, back, neck) problems (27 going on 80, thank you contact sports) and a few short order things to try:

1. GOOD knee brace, if its the outer or inner knee, it may be from twisting side to side as you put it down. This will keep you landing straight(er) down on your feet.

2. Carry "Icy Hot" sleeves in your pack. These are as vital as advil(which I hope you already carry) I often get pains and cramps, when I put one of these on, it really does help.

soft shells

I find that even in the cold of winter I get hot fast if I over-layer so I go for a Marmot Driclime Windshirt base, with a LW fleece over with a softshell over that. Best of all worlds b/c if it gets too hot with the softshell on you can take it off and still have a wind resistant layer on.

Please do not confuse the Driclime windshirt with a fleece with windbloc. Windshirts are much more breathable.

Be careful when you decide to use a waterproof shell. In certain conditions, it is possible to be cold but still sweating. Situations like this make a waterproof shell uncomfortable.

Best advice is just to mix it up and see what works for you. I have found my comfortable layering system through trial and error on many uncomfortable hikes.

counter opinion on softshells

I've been using a softshell for about 2 years now. I really like it for winter, but not when you're brushing against trees all day. (which seems to be every hike in the ADK's).

My body heat melts the brushed snow and I feel damp all day. When I use my lightweight rain shell I haven't had these issues... for extra ventilation I open the front zip pretty wide, and keep the pit zips wide open. I also like having the hood of the shell.

The problem gets magnified on overnights when you can't properly dry the softshell.

If the trail was more wide open, or for cross-country skiing, I really like them though.

-Shayne

spaddock said:
My body heat melts the brushed snow and I feel damp all day. When I use my lightweight rain shell I haven't had these issues... for extra ventilation I open the front zip pretty wide, and keep the pit zips wide open. I also like having the hood of the shell.

-Shayne

Interesting. All in the users perspctive I guess. When I use a hardshell I tend to soak my inner insulation layers with sweat.

Somthing interesting to try are the newer generations of softshells that have waterproof panels in certain locations such as the shoulders. I have a Wild Things Guide jkt with waterproof panels on the shoulders which works very well.

I won't claim that what I wear is better than the standard Gore-Tex/fleece combinations, but it is different and I find that it suits me well. I wear a merino wool baselayer, wool sweater and uncoated/unlined polyester shell with hood. If it's cold enough, I'll add a synthetic vest. If it's warm enough, I'll bring a Precip shell. The reason my system works well is that the wool absorbs lots of moisture without feeling cold and damp and the uncoated shell releases the moisture to the atmosphere at a slow but steady rate.

For camping or as emergency insulation, I bring a down jacket and Primaloft pants.

jfb said:
I won't claim that what I wear is better than the standard Gore-Tex/fleece combinations, but it is different and I find that it suits me well. I wear a merino wool baselayer, wool sweater and uncoated/unlined polyester shell with hood. If it's cold enough, I'll add a synthetic vest. If it's warm enough, I'll bring a Precip shell. The reason my system works well is that the wool absorbs lots of moisture without feeling cold and damp and the uncoated shell releases the moisture to the atmosphere at a slow but steady rate.

For camping or as emergency insulation, I bring a down jacket and Primaloft pants.

I fully agree with this. Wool is amazing. Alot of the time I use an Ibex Shak jersey under my softshell. It is a funny sensation though. You do not feel as warm as when you wear a fleece, but you do not feel cold either, just comfortable. I only use this system in the winter due to the fact that wool is not to comfortable when it gets really wet.

Shayne,

I hear you on the body heat melting the brushed snow when wearing a softshell. Two things that may help are:

1) Frequent use of DWR treatments (Nikwax, Tectron, etc.)

2) Shaving the outer surface of your softshell with a Bic razor. No need to use anything fancy like Shick Quattro or Gillette Mach 3! A single blade disposable is best. This will significantly reduce any pilling currently on the jacket. Simply drag the razor over the fabric lightly. I am guessing that the snow is sticking the most to high abrasion areas like the front of forearms, back of triceps, and top of shoulder) and this is probably due to the pills. If you didn't have this problem when the jacket was new, it is most certainly due to pilling from abrasion. Double weave fabrics with poly in them are probably most prone to pilling (Schoeller Dryskin for example), while bonded softshells that are all nylon on the outside probably won't pill as much. No joke on the shaving, it works.

John

Last edited: