Winter Gear Questions - Sleeping Bag

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtn.goat

Reaction score
I am currently acquiring/researching the winter gear i will need for backpacking in the whites/adk's this coming winter and had a few questions. I've already searched through the forum to try and make sure I don't ask a question that has already been answered.

I have pretty much made up my mind to go with Feathered Friends due to the customizability factor and positive reviews that I've heard but am having a problem figuring out what type of fabric and bag to get. I am a warm sleeper (almost downright hot) and was wondering if a Widgeon (-10 rating) with 800 fill down and 2-4 ounces of overfill would be fine for the -20 to -25 max low temps I expect to see (correct me if I'm wrong on these temp numbers) or should I go with the Peregrine due to it's extra girth (and -20 rating)? Which fabric breathes better and would be more durable... EPIC or eVent? I'm just concerned that if i get a bag rated to too extremem of a temp that I will be too hot most of the time. Thanks for any advice that you can provide me with.

Last edited:
Hard to say, but sounds like overkill to me

Giving sleeping bag reccomendations is always tough as no two people sleep the same. On my end, what you describe would be overkill. I use a -5F bag in the whites in winter (REI elements). I use a silk liner and will use a hot nalgene or two when temperatures go below 0 (F). On the other hand, anytime I have been too warm, I have just unzipped the lower parts of the bag to allow cold air in, ditched the liner etc. I have even slept in 45F with the bag pretty much completely open.

On the other hand my wife has very bad circulation, and in retrospect should have the warmest bag you can find....she needs the water bottles in any temperature it seems.

Oh, certainly feathred friends makes some of the best bags...they are just a little pricy...I'd go with them and what you have said if you are highly likely to do Denali or something similar in the next couple years.

I have a Ptarmigan with overfill; it's rated to about about -40. I have never slept in temps that cold but I have used it in temps well below zero. I have had it for about 10 years and it's seen quite a bit of use and abuse. I used it at Baxter one winter sleeping outdoors at South Branch, the temps were -15 in the morning and I was fine all night, and I am not an overly warm sleeper. The bag seems to be holding up quite well. This is my main bag from Novenber till end of March. If it gets too warm just don't tighten up the draw cord for the hood or around the neck, they make a huge difference, or leave the zip open a bit. I wouldn't worry too much about being too warm, there are plenty of opportunity's to vent heat. Regarding exterior fabric, mine has a gortex type shell; 10 years ago it was this or nylon. I'd go for something that is more breathable and just water repellant; getting a bag soaked in the winter isn't an issue, but getting water vapor out of the insulation is. Give them a call and ask for advice. I'd also take a look at what Western Mountaineering has to offer; they make very nice stuff as well. Also, if you are planning to go out for more than 2 or 3 nights, consider getting a vapor barrier. For extended trips they make a lot of sense.

Note: I agree with the above post, if you are only going to do a couple of trips a year, and plan to stay in a shelter or tent, there are much cheaper options. That being said, I dropped $500 for my bag 10 years ago, it's seen a lot of use by myself and a couple of others (Mom always taught me to share my toys :D ) and it is still going strong.

Last edited:
-20F in the Whites is not uncommon. -40 (F or C, take your choice ;) ) occurs occasionally. On a multiday trip, a down bag will pick up moisture and lose some insulation (unless you use a vapor barrier liner).

This last winter (or was it the previous one?), there was a hypothermia death on South Twin in temps that were measured at -48F on Mt Washington. IIRC, it was also pretty windy.

Doug

Last edited:
I have used a 0 degree rated bag from REI for a few seasons but I have spent a few cold nights out. Last year I bought a -20 bag from EMS. It gets pretty cold out there in the winter!

I use a 0° bag most of the time, but I have a Bivy Sack. At Festiglace last year it hit -35° but I was toasty with the 0° inside the 30°, which was inside the fleece liner (makes it easier to shake the ice off in the AM). If you suspect it being colder, just sleeve two together. Keep in mind that down will compress and lose some of its loft if the other sleeping bag is too small.

I bought a Peregrine last year, with 800+ down, no overfill and Epic shell. I chose the extra girth to be able to dress/undress inside the bag and also to be able to turn inside the bag and sleep on my side with my knees bent without compressing any down. There's also enough room inside to wear a down jacket and pants on those really cold nites. I used to have a narrower EMS -20 bag and it was probably the worst purchase I ever made (except for a used 1969 Fiat). I don't really know about the eVent shell but I assumed it is a laminated fabric similar to Dryloft and I know that rolling over in a bag with a Dryloft shell sounds like you're sleeping on a potato chip mattress.

Your best bet might be to call the folks out at Feathered Friends and discuss the available options with them. They would know which of their fabrics would be best for your described needs. The call might cost $5 - $10 if it's a long conversation, but if you're planning to spend $500 - $600 on a bag, $10 is nothing.