Winter gear; Vapor barriers for sleeping bags ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
I have 1 bag rated to -40 and another good to about 15 degrees. I'm thinking about a VBL for the second bag as my younger son is into winter outings with me and he gets the better bag. I don't take him if it's going to be colder than about 20 at night, but these things happen. I also have a breathable bivy cover and a heavier, less breathable bivy cover. I know I can over-dress, take 2 pads, hot water bottles, etc.
Re. VBL's; is it just better to sweat than to freeze ? I don't really view VBL's as a standard choice, but more of an emergency one. Is that about right ?

Chip,

I've used a VBL for several years with great success. Its been used to extend the range of a 15 degree bag as well as to protect my 0 degree bag during longer trips. I've found that by wearing a thin polypro layer I don't feel clamy inside the VBL and it certain increases the warmth of the bag. Mine (Western Mounatineering HotSac) weighs nothing.

I used my 0 degree WM bag with the WM VBL and a OR Bivy with great success on Denali.

I think VBLs make a much bigger difference on extended trips when water/persperation accumulating in a down bag may be a problem (causing down to clump). Otherwise for weekend trips I simple try and dry out clothes by wearing them inside the bag at night and put hot water bottles in the bottom. I have a -20 down and was fine sleeping at minus -30 with a wool base layer and fleece hat on inside.

Other than the down clumping its simply something you have to try and a matter of personal preference. They are nice to have if the temperature dips further than anticipated.

~J

VB's

...are very useful for hiking up the rating on a bag. I don't perspire much but it does hold in all those lovely hammster-lile smells. Extra pad- or just place the extra clothing under one good pad- goes a long way, too. Don't forget a hat and gloves.

What are your hints on working with cold weather bags? I have a "modular" cold weather bag, and it was sold to me as a 0*F bag. Well, come morning I was frezing my keister off and it was +10*, maybe +5*.

I also have difficulty with the bag itself. Can't stand the closed in feeling, feels almost like I'm suffocating in it.

Yeah, cold weather camping, outside that is, is new to me. I'm used to some form of shelter, like snow caves, cars, trucks, stuff like that, where you can warm it up some.
Help!

I'd get a 30 or 40 degree bag and that fits inside the 15 degree bag instead of a VBL. The combination would be good to below zero.