winter tent ideas?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
Don't think i can afford one now but what type of winter tent 2 person tent do you like? I'm nervous about using my 3 season for the winter and thinking of maybe renting a 4 season..thx

My opinion is that any self-respecting 3-season tent will perform adequately in winter with the following caveats:

1) don't use it above treeline where heavy winds are of concern
2) knock the snow off of it every day (or more) if you are using it for several days during big accumulation

Unless you need it for the above conditions now, save your money and wait until you've been winter camping for a few years to decide what you really want based on your experience.

have fun!

spencer

that being said, for a winter tent I have the TNF Mountain 25. Not the lightest tent around but very, very solid.

Last edited:
I just purchased the Sierra Design (2 person) Hercules AST tent. I spoke to three very experienced winter mountaineers in my area and they emphasized to me that they thought this was an excellent tent and they all recommeded it very highly. The other good news was that it was on sale at REI for 25% off so I paid only $300. I positively love it.
It's in my yard now and I cannot wait to take it up north in two weeks.This is a direct quote:
"The Holy Grail of expedition tents. Withstands the adverse weather conditions of high winds and heavy snow environments.
The Hercules retained 70% of its internal living space in wind tunnel testing with the winds reaching 100mph."
It had two large stash doors doors and permanently attached Jakes Corners pole supports.
It might still be on sale. Check the REI web site. I just picked mine up last week. I could have had it mailed out to me but it's more fun having an REI adventure in person. Good luck.

I use a Mountain Hardwear Trango 2 and cann't say anything bad about it.

I second what Spencer said. My first winter tent was an EMS rectangular dome... technically it was a 3 season tent with fiberglass poles and mesh doors. But back then no one ever told me that there was a difference between 3 and 4 season tents. I thought a tent was a tent.... so I camped with it for 3 or 4 winters. It sagged a bit in the snow so that I had to knock the snow off occasionally, but it worked. And if I recall correctly, the reason I first purchased that tent was that it was the cheapest in the EMS line at the time. Would I trust it out in the open on Mt. Rainier... no way. But with a little care it worked fine when pitched in the woods in the Whites.

Eureka Alpenlite 2XT. Costs about $180. I've had mine for 4 years now, and think it's probably the best investment I've made. A couple of years ago it made it through a windstorm at 12,000' without any damage.

Ditto on Rico!.
I picked up my Alpenlite about 1.5 years ago at the Eureka Outlet. I beleive it is the only 2-man 4-season tent with 2 vestibules for 6lbs.
It is an expanded A-Frame design and isn't quite as roomy as many others, but it is bombproof.
Check these guys out they had some 2nds (cosmetic blems) on sale last year:
Eureka Camping Center
or 1 888-638-7352

tents

It's all about where & how you plan on using it.

Back in the day, when I couldn't afford specialized tents, I used a $35 dome tent, with a 1/2 coverage fly for all 4 seasons. Advantage in winter is that you only need to cover the mesh with a fly - the rest can easily be a 1 wall design (because the precipitation is dry, i.e.: snow). I used that tent for 6 years.

So:
- if you plan on doing overnights above tree line, where wind is a factor: get a very sturdy & functional tent - it may be your only "safe zone" in bad weather, so you better be comfortable spending time in it.

- if you camp below tree line, but in heavy snow fall areas, you may be OK with 3 seasons, but ensure that you get the snow off the tent to keep it from collapsing. Note that 4 season tents have a load limit too, so don't think that a 4 season tent does not require clearing the snow off of it.

- if you are an occasional winter camper, in well protected zones, the only thing you have to worry about is the durability of the fabric in the temperatures it will be exposed to. Some people even use a tarp, or go without a tent completely.

the wall...........

I use a MEC northwind. Nothing but good things to say about it. Sleeps two wtih lots of gear, or three cozily. Two vestibules to hold gear and cook in. With guylines it's very secure. Looks like an igloo when set up.

It comes down to this, what comfort level are you willing to accept? For the many years I used the North Face Mountain 24 (now the Mountain 25), probably the most durable 4 season 2-man tent on the market (9+ pounds), cost $350. 1999-2002 I used a North Face 2-man Kestrel, cost $200. This is a 3-season lightweight tent (6+ pounds). Now I use a Bibler 2-man / 4 season tent (4.25 pounds), cost $535. All these options works well for the winter conditions we experience in the northeast. The tent should be considered a temporary shelter for use during a normal climb.

If you want good circulation many 3-season tents can be used. If you stay above tree line, stay with a tent that is rated for tougher conditions (The North Face Mountain 25, Mountain Hardware – Super lightweight, Bibler I-tent / Eldorado to name a few). If you have a good sleeping bag a 3-season tent works well and is often preferred for the better ventilation. Your tent and sleeping bag should be the most important items to acquire that you do not limit due to cost. If you can, spend more for these two items to ensure lasting quality and use. Food for thought…. place a high value on products that will endure many years. My experiences has taught me that buying mass-market brand names might be better for the cost today, but generally do not last over the years. If you want a tent that lasts 10 or more years – spend the money and go for it.