Winter Whiteface/Esther

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cavewine

Reaction score
Has anyone here climbed Whiteface (w/ or w/out Esther) and then attempted to ski down the Whiteface Mt. ski slopes?

I understand you can ski down (and up, if you wish) the memorial highway, but wonder if it's worth the trouble/any fun/possibly illegal to try and 'whack on over to the top of the slopes and finish off the day at the ski lodge...

Spray on!

cavewine said:
Has anyone here climbed Whiteface (w/ or w/out Esther) and then attempted to ski down the Whiteface Mt. ski slopes?

I understand you can ski down (and up, if you wish) the memorial highway, but wonder if it's worth the trouble/any fun/possibly illegal to try and 'whack on over to the top of the slopes and finish off the day at the ski lodge...

Spray on!
I would call and ask.

Also, if you are an expert skier, the slide next to the slopes can be skied. Having walked up the slide in summer, we saw a steep cliff section where there was a sign at the top, with 3 skulls on it, warning you about the impending drop you were about to experience! :eek: This winter, the sign could easily be buried. Note that the slides are off limits when avalanche danger is high. Again, the Ski Center can be called and asked.

cavewine said:

Spray on!

One cannot Ski off the Ski Slopes of Whiteface Mt. in the Winter. I know this for a fact, as I know a couple people personally who works for Whiteface and they say not. It's more or less stealing the slope, that others must pay for to ski. Also it's for liability reasons.

No reason you can't do the slides of Whiteface but not the slopes themselves, that Whiteface grooms and maintains.

Ok, I guess that settles it!

Although, I don't beleive you're paying to ski down - that part's free. It's the ride up that your "lift ticket" pays for : the lift part.

:D

cavewine said:

Although, I don't beleive you're paying to ski down - that part's free. It's the ride up that your "lift ticket" pays for : the lift part.

I think if you ask, they will tell you it is to access the property. I've read that many ski centers are shifting to this language, making everyone pay at least something to access the slopes. You are enjoying the groomed trails on the way down, so there is some logic to it.

BTW, if you do ski down the slide, you will eventually come to the slopes, unless there is another exit I am not aware of.

When we walked up, btw, there was no fee to access the slopes in summer, (heading to the slide), even though the lifts are running.

cavewine said:

I would like to post the answer coming directly from Whiteface,

It is illegal to ski down without a lift ticket.

This answer came directly from Lauren Garfield who is the Group Sales Manager of Whiteface Mountain Ski Resort. :)

nobody has done it?

--
so, legalities aside, blah blah blah, has anyone actually done this trip? Or attempted it?
Anyone willing to talk about having done it?
Maybe you had a pass, and everything was kosher, so you can spill the beans about it.
Or maybe you didn't have a pass, and the statuate of limitations has finally run out, and you can breathe a sigh of relief, come clean, and sleep easy after years of guilt-ridden shame....

:rolleyes: