WM Antelope SMF

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Knowing the opinion of WM via the Down bag thread and since I do own an WM Iroquois, I found a discontinued '03 Antelope SMF on "sale" for $324 that is rated for 5°F.

I'm sort of considering it as I'd like to get a better winter bag for backpacking and ski touring.... I don't know if I can take parting with that kind of cash but I think I have been a good boy this year... hello santa!

Heh... forgot my question. Anybody compare this to the current Antelope SMF, which appears only $40 more or so but just a bit lighter and a different shell covering.

Or how about a MH Phantom 0 which is rated colder and roughly the same weight for slightly more...?

Jay

Last edited:
I can't answer your question about the difference tween the two years- WM has a toll free number I would just call them.

I do think the antelope is the more roomy model since you're small framed you might find the bag too roomy, that is difficult to heat up due to the extra space

The Antelope is more roomy...

Phantom 0 5'6" is 58/55/37
Antelope SMF 5'6" is 62/53/39

Both are 2lb 6oz.
The Phantom is rated to 0 while the Ant. SMF is rated to +5
The Phantom packs an inch smaller in length at 8x16 vrs 8x17

If I wasn't so fond of my Iroquois.... My friend has a Phantom 32 which is nice but I haven't actually tried it. I don't mind the 2/3rds zipper and frankly, I sleep like a mummy, so as long as my small frame fits, I'm very easy to fit.

Ack, can't find any Phantom sales but I have seen some ;03 Antelopes on sale. I saw one for $245 too at northern lites..... Didn't say it was an older model but I emailed them and got a reply saying it is indeed an old model. They had the '04 for basically MSRP, a tipoff that the one on sale is old. But that's a great price though... very tempting.

Jay

I have the WM Antelope in Microfiber. I was out camping on Sunday and Monday this past week using it. It was down around -10 to -15 Monday AM, perhaps five degrees in the tent, and I was cozy and happy.

I do generally wear a Stephenson VB shirt (prefer VB clothing to VB bag liners) and with that and a bit of clothing I can take the Antelope even colder. Another tactic is to use a down top liner of the kind Moonstone used to make (they are hard to find though). I use mine often and it adds fifteen to twenty degrees to the bag rating.

I should say that I paid $270 for my Puma, "used" but apparently never taken into the field. I also have an old NF bag (from when NF was a real mountaineering outfitter) which is good to at least -15.

A good bag combined with creative tactics can take you down into seriously low temperatures, sometimes well below bag rating, but I should, in good conscience, recommend working out slowly and carefully what works for you. Also keep in mind that some folks are just congenitally cold sleepers and need extra insulation. Also, even a warm sleeper can get dehydrated or underfed and have a cold might. And (finally) almost as important as the bag is the insulation underneath. Having a toasty topside is no good if you are on a pad that's letting you freeze from the bottom up.

Enjoy!!

Ted.