WM Meltdown or MH Absolute Zero - Help me choose

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sli74

Reaction score
H: Brighton, MA, Avatar :Brian and I at the 2005 S
I am trying to decide between a new Western Mountaineering Meltdown jacket and a used Mountain Hardwear Absolute Zero Parka.

I need a warm down jacket for wearing around camp in winter. The Mountain Hardwear looks like it would be warmer but it is a LOT heavier . . .

Anyone have any opinions on which one would be better? Thanks,

sli74

Here's my 2 cents.... for winter camping I'd go for a down parka that was long enough to cover my butt and that had a decent hood (hoods add a lot of warmth).... I wasn't familiar with either of the jackets you mentioned so I looked them up online. The Mountain Hardwear is designed as a high altitude expedition coat and is probably overkill. The Western Mountaineering jacket looks more like a very light down sweater, something I'd use for 3 seasons, belaying, hut trips, etc. I think I'd be more inclined to go with something like the Mountain Hardwear Sub Zero for all around winter use; there are several manufacturers that make something along this line. Having a detachable hood means you can always leave it behind to save weight. As always shop the sales; I got a great deal on a Northface down parka with a Goretex shell at the outlet in Freeport, something like $125.

Check out the MH Phantom. It's lightweight,and compresses to the size of a Nalgene Koozie. I bought one for hanging out at the campsite in winter. It was too warm on a 20o day! Weather gets nasty I throw on the Exposure jacket over it.

I just ordered and am anxiously awaiting to receive a down jacket that I ordered from Feathered Friends. The service people spent alot of time on the phone with me discussing where I was hiking and conditions to make sure I was ordering a jacket that would best serve my needs. The best thing, however, was that I was able to order the main jacket in one size and the sleeves in smaller size (it cost $15 more). Since I have short arms this was fantastic, most jackets sleeves are way too long for me so the jackets never fits quite right. They have a web site and a catalog. They also make booties, sleeping bags and "indoor" products like comforters and pillows. almost everything is made to order so shipping may take a few weeks.

I really invested last winter. I bought 2 sub zeros MH's. The black is for every day wear because it gets so much abuse and the red is for hiking. I also bought the Absolute Zero MH and I love it. I will carry my A-Zero all winter in my truck and will pack it when I pull my pulk. It's like a winter down bag and I believe they are used when climbing in the Himalaya. It would be a great camp jacket in bitter cold weather.
The sub-z is very warm, has a great hood, and is easily packable. I use that more for day hikes but I also pack the Bivy and the Golite down bag because I want those items available in case of emergencies.
I had difficulty getting the sub-z's because they were sold out last year. I had to order one and drive to Rutland Vt to get the other.
My Absolute Z was special ordered.
Good luck.

If only choosing between those two, I'd get the WM Meltdown in a size that fits over my other insulating layers. I agree the MH Absolute is overkill. A better choice than either of those would be a fully-baffled jacket in the 2 lb. range, like the MH Sub-Zero, Marmot Plasma, MEC Cygnus, FF Frontpoint.

jfb said:
I agree the MH Absolute is overkill. .
I do think that for lots of folks the Absolute MH is overkill.
I am older and over the years I tend to get much colder more quickly.
I think the Raynaud's and age both factor into this.
I have had to use it only once but was very glad I had it with me.
I am out very late at night on rural roads in big storms and I feel much better knowing that it's in my truck.
Each time I look at that jacket I wonder if the ranger who lost his life last winter might still be with us if he had this kind of parka available to him.
I also bought it for the long haul in the event that I want to go back to MN/Alaska, etc.
The sub Z has served me well. We are so lucky to have such a good variety of gear available to us. It just keeps getting better each year.

By the way....I especially like Brutus's winter coat. It's a shame he can't speak.
He's the real expert here when it comes to keeping warm. :D :D :D
*Nice Avatar Kevin!

Gotta love my Sub-Zero PARKA

It's somewhat heavy, BUT it does very well in high wind and low temps - precisely what i choose it to do. It packs OK, nothing stellar in that dept., but i only wear it when i am stopped, on long belay, or it is very, very cold and windy. I tend to keep it easily accessable so when i stop i can put it on quick.

The fabric - Conduit - is pretty good and the parka has 'scuff patches' in the right places for me (elbows, shoulders and my big ole butt!!! :D )The hood is excellent and i really like the fleece lined pockets. Pictures of it don't do it justice - it is really puffy even though it is only 650fill power. I don't mind spending big $$$ on footwear, sleeping bags, shelter and packs, but i like to find a bargain on 'soft-goods' - i can't justify hundreds of dollars for higher fill power... This garment is a great deal for what it does for me - YMMV...

I couldn't find a women's version, but here is the mens...

http://www.mgear.com/pages/product/product.asp/level1_id/56/level2_id/75/level3_id/76/item/100988/level2_title/Men%27s+Technical+Wear/level3_title/Down+and+Insulated+Tops

Mm

Last edited: