Woman flown off Denali after refusing to climb any farther

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe if she had a few sherpas with her she wouldn't have been so tired

opinions

it is funny how one sided and (to me) logical the conclusions are in this thread.

I tried to discuss this with my wife during a short hike yesterday and we almost got into an argument about it. (my) Women's point of view may be different. :D

Surprized that she didn't demand to have her butt plopped on the summit.

Denali Res-Q

Well- all I can add is the way things are today- what with the freedom of information on the internet, etc.- what do you think her chances are of ever being issued another climbing permitt? Snowball's chance in hell?

Well- all I can add is the way things are today- what with the freedom of information on the internet, etc.- what do you think her chances are of ever being issued another climbing permitt? Snowball's chance in hell?
Offenses committed in National Parks are federal offenses.

I don't know the laws concerning unpaid federal fines, but it is conceivable that her ability to travel in this country could be "reduced".

Doug

NPS was between a rock and a hard place on that one. After several days they may have had to consider that she was just kooky enough to stay there until she died. Perhaps it was indeed an "illness" related rescue.

It's probably hard to tell where to draw the line between disagreeable and deranged.

I'm not sure but probably because the park service charges a fee. Much like, I suspect, the Govt has to share in the Gulf clean-up... because they shared in the profits. (Only banks can enjoy pure upside with subsidized risk).

By charging the peak fee they, in some way, take on the nanny role for every nim-rod with a sore foot and $250.

If we let mountains remain dangerous and inhospitable, maybe folks will treat them with respect. Maybe.

Very good points. I think the "nanny" burden could instantly be removed from the rangers by also requiring a full release be signed along with the access fee. By letting this fool get away with no fine being paid, they have taken a bad precedent and made it even worse. I think they should NOT have airlifted her, but since they did, they them should have jailed her for "up to" 6 months or until the fine was paid.

"Luca-Mrden has been unofficially 86'd from Denali" - she should be banned for any further climbing anywhere. Period.

Very good points. I think the "nanny" burden could instantly be removed from the rangers by also requiring a full release be signed along with the access fee. By letting this fool get away with no fine being paid, they have taken a bad precedent and made it even worse. I think they should NOT have airlifted her, but since they did, they them should have jailed her for "up to" 6 months or until the fine was paid.

Agreed....