wonalancet, hibbard, hedgehog, paugus, mexico 4/28/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 4/28/12

trails: old mast road, wonalancet range trail, walden trail, lawrence trail, bushwack, old paugus trail, big rock cave trail, roadwalk, gordon path

conditions: in general the trails were dry and free of snow and ice with minor exceptions. some ice was present on the wonalancet range trail in the shaded steeps, but could be avoided as well as a couple of patches descending walden trail to the 4-way junction. more icy patches on lawrence trail up high on paugus and a couple up high on the old paugus trail as well. lots of wet ledge especially on the old paugus trail necessitated care in sections. the bushwack from the south knob of paugus to the true summit was through mostly moderate woods with a couple thick sections. the only unbridged water crossing of consequence was that of whitin brook on the big rock cave trail which required one wet step to get across. expect a fair amount of blowdown on this route especially on the old paugus trail.

equipment: nothing in particular.

comments: a beautiful day for this hike. though i had hiked out of ferncroft many times before it was always to the 4k neighbors of the peaks i visited for the first time today. lots of great views scattered along the route with a nice soft footbed in some sections combined some very steep and rough trail in others. i was particularly impressed with the ruggedness of the old paugus trail along with the huge patch of blowdown it passes through along the way. big rock cave is really quite cool as well. great to be out exploring some new (to me) trails.

bryan

[email protected]