Wright, Algonquin, and Iraquois

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ADAM12

Reaction score
After reading some reports it seems like there is still quite a bit of snow at the higher elevations, so out of curiosity I called the Adirondack Loj today and inquired about trail conditions. The lady on the other end was very friendly and informative. She said there was still 1-3 feet of snow and quite icey. She recommended that if anyone is going out this weekend to at least bring stabalicers or crampons. Also Avalanche pass still has quite a bit of snow too :)

So I guess my question is what do you think conditions will be like next weekend? That gives me about a week or so to hope that more snow melts away. :D

Thanks,
Adam

Check the weather forecast for the week. If it's 80 and sunny each day then significant melting will occur. If it's 50 and cloudy each day then not so much. If it gets below freezing at night, then melting will be even slower.

1ADAM12 said:
. She recommended that if anyone is going out this weekend to at least bring stabalicers or crampons. Also Avalanche pass still has quite a bit of snow too :)

So I guess my question is what do you think conditions will be like next weekend? That gives me about a week or so to hope that more snow melts away. :D

Thanks,
Adam

Yeah! I've been thinking the same thing! :)

I'm planning on a long walk in the lower woods from the Garden to be muddy and buggy, some rotten snow and running water on the lower part of the ascent to the Range, some pretty clear trail on the open areas with ice/snow patches in the rocky crevices on Haystack.

Spring is hanging on!

Do you think we will run into you guys at all??

una_dogger said:
Yeah! I've been thinking the same thing! :)

Do you think we will run into you guys at all??

I was hoping to hike with you for your finish but I am not sure if we would be back in time for the 46-R meeting on Sunday. I really want to make sure I make it there to recieve my certificate. We are actually camping just around the corner from you at Wilmington Knotch. Your at the KOA right? I have chatted with Adventurous and we plan on crashing your party and drinking beer with you guys Saturday evening around a campfire. Is that OK with you? :D Also maybe Sunday night hitting the brew pub as well :cool:

I will be camping with Seth, WinterWarlock, and Ductape.

Adam

1ADAM12 said:
I was hoping to hike with you for your finish but I am not sure if we would be back in time for the 46-R meeting on Sunday. I really want to make sure I make it there to recieve my certificate. We are actually camping just around the corner from you at Wilmington Knotch. Your at the KOA right? I have chatted with Adventurous and we plan on crashing your party and drinking beer with you guys Saturday evening around a campfire. Is that OK with you? :D Also maybe Sunday night hitting the brew pub as well :cool:

Adam

You bet! Beers/fire/VFTTer's - I'm in!

Wright, Algonquin, Iroquois

As of May 13:

Dry or slightly muddy trail up to second waterfall, after that in/out of patchy snow. No ice anywhere. More and deeper snow past the Wright junction and in the steep incline below treeline. Open summit areas above treeline are dry. Only boots needed throughout all three peaks. In/out of deep snow (and lots of water) descending the yellow trail to Lake Colden--but still bootable.

Great time to hike! :)

JoeCedar said:
As of May 13:

Dry or slightly muddy trail up to second waterfall, after that in/out of patchy snow. No ice anywhere. More and deeper snow past the Wright junction and in the steep incline below treeline. Open summit areas above treeline are dry. Only boots needed throughout all three peaks. In/out of deep snow (and lots of water) descending the yellow trail to Lake Colden--but still bootable.

Great time to hike! :)

Thanks Joe - Looks like I'm going to be happy I just bought a pair of Gore-tex boots!

1ADAM12 said:
So Joe how are the black flies?

The only black flies I have seen this spring were in the Catskills last weekend; none up here yet. It is still cool here, and I have a feeling they'll show up the first warm day. And emergence is elevation dependent, so you won't see them at 4000 feet for a while anyway. We haven't received much rain lately, and that may be a factor too in their delayed emergence.

1ADAM12 said:

Adam

We're planning on an early start. I'm hoping to be back for the meeting at 7:30pm but I'm not too worried about it if I don't make it. If I'm not back...can you pick up my certificate for me? Definitely a few brews around the fire on Saturday.

I feel like I'd rather post-hole than put on snowshoes at this point. I just got back from CA and it was literally 100 degrees there both days in the San Gabriels. I can't face snow anymore. :cool:

See you guys at KOA!

Sorry for the bad news but the black flies are here and in great number this year!

Today, May 20, we walked two easy and beautiful trails: Blue Ledges (Hudson) and Boreas River. We couldn't stop anywhere more than five seconds without being swamped. Even where we met at the Blue Ridge road intersection with R28 it took only a second for a couple of hundreds, or was it thousands, of the little beast to find us!